Regional Dialects

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bumstead!

Strongly influenced by a comic strip but then, other than the shape of a submarine, I have no idea where these other names come from. That, may be why I don't use the other terms.

There is probably a great deal that go into the choice of words and a way of pronouncing them. Even adults change their dialect because of new homes. Children especially but probably from discomfort.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t know where the New Orleans term Po Boy came from for the sandwich. There are different stories about the origin, but it has to be made with French bread, crisp on the outside and flaky on the inside. I’ll be headed that way tomorrow to see my granddaughter. I plan on having a dressed oyster po boy at Acme’s.

The term Neutral Ground for that area between a divided street is pure New Orleans. When the Americans bought New Orleans and started settling there, the original French, Spanish, and others controlled the east side of Canal Street. The new Americans controlled the west side of Canal Street. The grassy median in Canal Street became known as the Neutral Ground, controlled by neither faction.

When I was growing up in the ridges of East Tennessee, the noon time meal was dinner. That was the largest meal of the day. But I noticed other people don’t always use it that way so now I say breakfast, lunch, or supper. I don’t confuse many people doing it that way, even back in East Tennessee.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to make a lot of "Dagwoods". Still make them for DS from time to time. Anyone else remember those?

A Dagwood: Take a piece of bread with butter and mayo. Add cheese, lettuce, and lunch meat. Add another piece of bread -- repeat(as often as you want) butter to meat. Then cover with a final piece of bread. Higher than a club sandwich. Perfect snack for growing teenaged boys back in my youth.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wisher', it is good to see you.

Are you in Choctaw country there in western Alabama? Dad was born is the Choctaw nation of Oklahoma. His father's family was supposed to be Cherokee but Dad's grandmother was a Claiborne. That is the name a famous "Indian fighter" and ally to some of the Choctaw. One of her brothers was nicknamed "Choctaw" - why that was, has been lost.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sFun_BrokenImage[1].gif

Can't take the test..... "Access Denied"

Latest posts