Regrowing Celery From Grocery Store Stock

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm doin' it. I've read SOOO many articles about how celery is impossible to grow and how have to start "celeriac" instead, which I've NEVER eaten.
All it will cost ME is to buy and eat what I normally do, that repeat YOUR experiment.
We have the SMARTEST gardeners here!!! Thanks for the thread!!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I mentioned this to one of my garden center customers and they had never heard of this before but were intrigued by the idea. Although I sell seeds for a living this will become of those tricks that I can share with people who love gardening.

Once again thanks for sharing! :)

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just wanted to state I tried this and have a cute little celery plant growing from my celery butt. It took about 2 weeks in the water before I had something I was "proud" of - now I've got to get it in the ground but have to check first, we are still getting below freezing at night. Thoughts?

My celery seedlings are doing pretty good too, I need to transplant them but I don't have any idea what to do... maybe I'll try that later tonight.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
Just wanted to state I tried this and have a cute little celery plant growing from my celery butt. It took about 2 weeks in the water before I had something I was "proud" of - now I've got to get it in the ground but have to check first, we are still getting below freezing at night. Thoughts?

My celery seedlings are doing pretty good too, I need to transplant them but I don't have any idea what to do... maybe I'll try that later tonight.
I do not think celery can take the cold.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
SuperChemicalGirl said:

I do not think celery can take the cold.
We'll find out. I planted it and covered it with a frost blanket.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Celery should do ok, its a cool season veggie.

However, my poor celery was dug up and stolen by a rabbit about a week ago and it was doing so good!!! ARGH!

scotexpat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a quick question about planting the Celery after it has sprouted.Are there any Roots at this point,or do the Roots form after they are planted in the Ground?

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Mine didn't really have roots. Consequently, it survived the cold nights but got eaten by something (that could get through chicken wire fencing) two days ago. I'm leaving the base in (that was uneaten) in the hopes that it chooses to regrow, yet again.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine died, but I think it had gotten too warm here by the time I put it in the ground. I'm definitely going to try again.

Latest posts