Reina, Baymule’s Horse

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonderful! I buy olive oil by the gallon! I can do a section of her mane at a time. Then we both won’t get tired of the process. It will give us some bonding time. Thanks, I’ll try this.

Reina’s coat is dull and dead hair. She has bite marks and nicks here and there from her journey of a one way ticket to Mexico. Time, good diet and care will bring it back to life. Any supplement suggestions for that?

poor critter but she's in a great home now so she'll be looking better in a while when she gets some fat and muscle back on her. the backstory for her would be interesting to know but that would probably break my heart to hear.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
NOW we know why you hooked up the horse trailer. You sneaky pete!

I'm absolutely thrilled for you. I LOVE the photos. She's going to be so pretty when she's healthy again. Good dogs for accepting another animal in their pack.

it really helps that they all were introduced to horses when they were young. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got her some pellets for hooves. I looked at other supplements but decided against them.
1. Frightfully expensive
2. One month supply
3. Go back to that expensive part.
4. It’s a different supplement for everything.

I’ve used the hoof pellets before with great success.

I got her a small salt block and a rack to hang up to put the salt block in. And I got her horse treats. They smell like licorice. She liked them.

I called her name, head went up, ears forward and she came to me……walked past to check her feed tub. :lol: Then she turned around, came to me and I gave her a treat. Petted her over the fence, gave another treat, petted some more.

After looking at the row of must have supplements, I bought a bag of black oil sunflower seeds. I’ll start her on those in a week or two. Right now I’m barely giving her feed. It’s pretty obvious she is not used to being fed, so I’ll build up slowly. Then I’ll start with the BOSS, a few at a time. At least she poops horse poop. Her gut is at least healthy enough that she doesn’t have diarrhea

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The woman that rescued DD's horse preferred hydrated beet pulp, but it is something that needs to be done correctly and DD does not know the protocol.

DD was supplementing with Renew Gold and liked it quite well; she said it is easier to digest, an important consideration for an older horse (that did not fully recover from severe neglect and had Cushing's disease).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The woman that rescued DD's horse preferred hydrated beet pulp, but it is something that needs to be done correctly and DD does not know the protocol.

DD was supplementing with Renew Gold and liked it quite well; she said it is easier to digest, an important consideration for an older horse (that did not fully recover from severe neglect and had Cushing's disease).
I’ve used beet pulp, horses love it. Hydrating it is pretty simple, just soak in water a little before feeding time. I’m sure there is a “correct” way to do it, much better. LOL

Latest posts