Reina, Baymule’s Horse

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
(Not a horse person), why can’t you just cut the tangled hair off and allow it to regrow?
Manes and tails are the horse's first defense against flies. Without them it'd be like standing naked in a Florida swamp in summer. Since she's got a lot of nutritional problems and that coat looks really coarse, it's also uncertain whether she can grow it back.

Sometimes diseases like Cushings make hair growth difficult. :-/

These are just my thoughts of course, I'm sure @baymule can give you a more solid answer.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am late seeing this! I am THRILLED you have a horse again. :love Reina is going to be a real beauty when you do you magic. She is so luck you rescued her. I can't wait to see her transformation.
Thank you Carol. I’ve got a good feeling about her. She doesn’t want to be caught, but at the same time, she really wants to be friends. Today when we were doing our you can’t catch me dance, she was making licking and chewing motions. That’s horse language for wanting to join my “herd”. I turned sideways to her, inviting her in and she came almost all the way to me. I gave her a treat and put the halter on her. I took her out to graze for an hour. Little steps.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today Reina went to the vet. She had a runny nose when I got her and it turned to white goop. I figured she needed her teeth floated too. Horses teeth will wear unevenly and will get sharp points on their teeth. When they chew, the points stab their gums and tongue. They will drop feed because they are trying to chew with their mouth open to keep from hurting themselves.

I had watched Reina rolling wads of grass around in her mouth, trying to chew. She dropped wads too.

First was an exam for the snot goop. Lungs were clear! Throat was clear! Just a sinus infection.

Then she was sedated for her dental procedure. They washed her mouth with a large syringe until the water ran clear. Then the vet tech placed the head stall with the contraption that holds her mouth open, over her head. They resisted her head on a tall cradle with a foam pad for comfort. The vet used an electric grinder and took the sharp points off. Then Reina got a big dose of antibiotics for the sinus infection.

319A2BAD-46EF-4637-BDCF-93C2DFA84D53.jpeg

E6F027E8-727C-4993-80A8-194626DD38AB.jpeg

93C315C9-79B9-4FE1-808B-E2072B8D5C8D.jpeg

The vet and tech both think Reina is a nice horse and will be beautiful when she gains weight. Vet agreed that I shouldn’t worm her for another week, let her eat and gain strength.

Reina loaded right up and backed herself out when we got there. After her toofies got leveled out, I led her out of the stocks. She was wobbly so I walked her around awhile. The vet checked her again and said she was recovered enough to ride in the trailer. She loaded right up, I secured her and gave her a treat.

When we got home, she backed out and I let her graze the yard for a bit, then put her in her pen. Gave her another treat. She was munching on the hay bale when I went to feed her. Reina had a busy day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today Reina went to the vet. She had a runny nose when I got her and it turned to white goop. I figured she needed her teeth floated too. Horses teeth will wear unevenly and will get sharp points on their teeth. When they chew, the points stab their gums and tongue. They will drop feed because they are trying to chew with their mouth open to keep from hurting themselves.

I had watched Reina rolling wads of grass around in her mouth, trying to chew. She dropped wads too.

First was an exam for the snot goop. Lungs were clear! Throat was clear! Just a sinus infection.

Then she was sedated for her dental procedure. They washed her mouth with a large syringe until the water ran clear. Then the vet tech placed the head stall with the contraption that holds her mouth open, over her head. They resisted her head on a tall cradle with a foam pad for comfort. The vet used an electric grinder and took the sharp points off. Then Reina got a big dose of antibiotics for the sinus infection.

View attachment 53954

View attachment 53955

View attachment 53956

The vet and tech both think Reina is a nice horse and will be beautiful when she gains weight. Vet agreed that I shouldn’t worm her for another week, let her eat and gain strength.

Reina loaded right up and backed herself out when we got there. After her toofies got leveled out, I led her out of the stocks. She was wobbly so I walked her around awhile. The vet checked her again and said she was recovered enough to ride in the trailer. She loaded right up, I secured her and gave her a treat.

When we got home, she backed out and I let her graze the yard for a bit, then put her in her pen. Gave her another treat. She was munching on the hay bale when I went to feed her. Reina had a busy day.

that's just all wild to me that anyone would need to do that, but i can sure see it being necessary! love that it got done and that she and you are both ok from the experience. :)

seriously, i'd need a treat myself too after even trying to do anything like that. like perhaps two weeks in the Bahamas or something...

Latest posts