REPORT: Tomato Blight Stikes Again 2010

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh, not again. I'm still just getting my tomatoes in the ground. I planted 60 heirloom tomato plants last year, and got just a handful of sweet pea currant tomatoes from the whole bunch.

I suppose what's left to get in the ground, is going in pots, on the other side of my house, away from the big garden, and the road ( I live on a main road- last year's blight which hit hard on tomatoes and the potatoes here in Maine- was thought to be spread a LOT by way of the trucks and traffic picking it up and spreading spores along the road-- it was quite a sight to see--- potato fields dying out, starting at road's edge, working toward the back as it spread. The fields planted off the roads, or back in the woods or clearings, or far from main roads did MUCH better.)

boggybranch said:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah I pulled some leaves yesterday that look to be struggling and may be blight now that I think of it. It is only showing signs on some plants in a raised bed... the one's on the side of the house and end of the driveway seem fabulous still. I may give everything a light spray of watered down neem oil I use on my trees and the grapes to ward of fungi and blackspot.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've already lost some mater plants, all my summer squash and melons to blight and Fusarium Wilt. Looks like I may lose a few more maters and my cukes don't look very well either. Keeping my fingers crossed and doing what I can to save my garden.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
wife, unfortunately, the blight is airborne-so where you got your plants doesn't matter, as much as where your neighbors got theirs...I assume you are dry out there? That helps, the spores are carried by wind and fall down with the rain. Wishing us all good luck!!

Latest posts