revised germination table...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the next step has been completed on the table, over the years have only had 3 sides which had some sort of reflective material on them,leaving the 4th open and losing all the light out of it...
IMG_1232[1].JPG

so cut a old piece of paneling and covered it in the diamond mylar ...
IMG_1233[1].JPG

now once the plants really start growing all 4 sides are covered now... going to build one for the bottom grow area as well.
IMG_1235[1].JPG

yup got the idea from them dope growers....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not as fancy as you Major. I just hung some sheets of white paper ion the sides. One thing I've noticed is they don't do much good until the plants get some height on them. When they are pretty small the light is so close to them there isn't much room to reflect. But I noticed a lot of improvement when I added reflectors, the plants are not nearly as spindly as they were before.

Attachments

• Starter Set-up.JPG
    Starter Set-up.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 424

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not as fancy as you Major. I just hung some sheets of white paper ion the sides. One thing I've noticed is they don't do much good until the plants get some height on them. When they are pretty small the light is so close to them there isn't much room to reflect. But I noticed a lot of improvement when I added reflectors, the plants are not nearly as spindly as they were before.
Good to see two non dope growers thinking a like :thumbsup

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
heres my report on the new table....
working out great except for a couple things i did not take into account.
1. built it too air tight/ poor air circulation..
2. the diamond mylar reflects the light/heat too well, sure the backer boards on which its mounted on helps hold in heat as well... used a digital thermometer, the soil was getting above 95* , not good for the seeds to sprout.
so for the rest of time will be using 3 fans to control the heat, will have to revise these before they get to big and start using the forth panel i built early.
IMG_1246.JPG

guess thats what i get for building a better mousetrap there are always mistakes along the way..

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, always tweaking. For years I used my little home made light box for germinating tomatoes and peppers and got sprouts in 3 to 4 days. This year I sprang for a real propagation heat mat and thought I had cooked my seeds. I should have tested it with a blank flat of soil first to see what temp it would make the soil.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My setup is a dinosaur, one of the first chrome plated light stands sold back in the 70's. Three tiers, sliding up or down hoods, florescent plus incandescent lights. Fiberglas trays are dished so you can water from the bottom, it's still going strong but I seldom use it as I can start most things in the greenhouse by March.

Annette

Latest posts