Rodents in the greenhouses

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Depends on the poison but most used are just anti-coagulants. Mice/Rats eat it, stops their blood from clotting so they bleed to death. A cat or another animal would have to eat a lot of them as most of the poison has been used (why mouse or rat is dead). Now I would not feed the dead carcasses to my pets but if they got one, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Reason it is so deadly on rodents is their heart rate is much faster than ours. For it to kill a human, we would have to eat a bunch of it. Now granular insecticides used by farmers, whole different category and result. I wouldn't allow ANYONE or ANYTHING near that unless it was my target insect.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!! wow. That was great!
There were a lot of very helpful posts here. I will wash the traps from now on. I think even the spring loaded traps might work better in a big pipe. They would not have to be sprung to keep the dog noses out of each day.
:thumbsup

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Inhumane to rats? I draw the line at worrying about rats.
I had a pet rat in college. She was the sweetest smartest pet That I have ever had. And I have had German Shepherds, so that is saying a lot. However, she was my rat, and I was her human and it was very ratatouille-ish. I am losing my 'kindness to rodents' placard though. I am all for bashing them with it now. I've had enough. unless I find another little pile of newborns that needs me... AH,who am I kidding?. I am getting to old for that. I know people with snakes.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
he,he, hee, no.
Thanks anyway.
When I go to weed, and a snake looks at me with surprise in it's eyes... I have a problem with wetting my pants.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a pet rat in college. She was the sweetest smartest pet That I have ever had. And I have had German Shepherds, so that is saying a lot. However, she was my rat, and I was her human and it was very ratatouille-ish. I am losing my 'kindness to rodents' placard though. I am all for bashing them with it now. I've had enough. unless I find another little pile of newborns that needs me... AH,who am I kidding?. I am getting to old for that. I know people with snakes.
Rats really do make great small pets. As opposed to having a hamster or gerbil or mouse. One rat, a female. Once you can get past the tail, you will have a fun, responsive pet. But a wild rat invading my space? I'm right there with you with the eradication. But I do draw the line at glue traps. They can cause days of suffering, not an instant relatively stress free death. My feeling is that even a rat deserves to not suffer needlessly.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rats that die from poison, won't hurt other animals that eat the carcasses.

Yup, Seedcorn is right.
I fought The Battle of the Barn for several months, unsuccesfully trying every rat killing/detering method I could find that didn't include poison. I was afraid of harming poor old Cougan (barn cat). Finally someone (here?? byc??) pointed out that the rat can only eat enough to kill itself. And even consuming the entire rat won't put enough poison in the cat to kill it..... although it will probably make him sick enough that he'll never even look at another rat again.
If you can find their holes, pour some poison pelets down the hole and backfill it.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I had a pet rat a good six or so years ago, she was a fun little critter. I was surprised that everybody in the family liked her too, they all hate rodents. She used to sit on my shoulder all the time, just like a parrot.
The worst part isn't the tail, it's how much they poop, if you have a rat on your shoulder for any longer than a couple of minutes your back is likely to be showered in it. We eventually had to get rid of her, she kept marking her territory all over the wall. They sell tailess Manx rats.

Latest posts