Rodents in the greenhouses

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have had a horrible rat problem back in the duck yard for some time now. We've caught a couple with traps but their brothers and sisters are still crawling around and are out for revenge! I don't really want to use synthetic poisons. What if I make a tincture from some Monkshood and rub it on some cheese?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is an electronic device that the horse catalogs sell that kills rats and rice. It is not big enough for your pets to enter. I would think the trap must be emptied of corpses however. Rather gruesome.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a pet owner who spent $1600.00 on a dog who ate rat poison, I wouldn't have the stuff around. Of course, I don't have any big problems with rodents either. My neighbor's dog got into the rat poison in her garage. Took a vet trip and close to $800.00 to be sure Maggie would be okay.

After her experience, BFF said she had the poison up out of reach of pets and children. Nope! One day her granddaughter noticed my CeeCee had blue on her mouth and teeth. Of course for me, the Vet was closed and the closest emergency clinic was 40 miles out of town. Being off hours, it was $600 to walk into the animal hospital. Finally, 6 hours and nearly $1000 later we brought a very unhappy dog home. CeeCee wasn't happy about not being allowed to visit her friend anymore.

Any type of trap needs to be checked on a regular schedule. There is little reason for the animal suffer if you keep checking them.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a pet rat a good six or so years ago, she was a fun little critter. I was surprised that everybody in the family liked her too, they all hate rodents. She used to sit on my shoulder all the time, just like a parrot.
The worst part isn't the tail, it's how much they poop, if you have a rat on your shoulder for any longer than a couple of minutes your back is likely to be showered in it. We eventually had to get rid of her, she kept marking her territory all over the wall. They sell tailess Manx rats.
When I met my husband I was in college. I would let my rat out to run around while I studied. My husband to be came over sat down next to me on the couch and I said,"My rat is out. If you see her please do not get upset, and be real careful with her, I do not want her to get hurt. So if you see her let me know where she is and I will put her up". He then said, "She is on my head, and she just peed down my neck." yep. I knew right then he was a keeper, My rat approved.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having raised two sons, we have had every rodent, reptile, amphibian, bird and fish that it's legal to own. I agree, rats make superb pets. The first female we owned, given to kid#1 by a friend of mine (which I vehemently resisted for WEEKS, until I finally caved ) was such an intelligent little thing. One day the boys played with her on the front porch, put her away in her cage but forgot to latch the door. The oldest came crying to me that Whiskers was gone! So tragic! We started looking and calling and she came running...from the neighbors yard. She lived for several years after that.
@Seedo, you cracked me up with your description of your shoulder riding rat. So true! :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It may be an old wives' tale, but I have heard that Coke will kill a rat or mouse. They drink it because it's sweet, then the acid in it eats holes in their stomach, and since rats/mice don't produce vitamin K, to clot the blood, they bleed to death internally.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It may be an old wives' tale, but I have heard that Coke will kill a rat or mouse. They drink it because it's sweet, then the acid in it eats holes in their stomach, and since rats/mice don't produce vitamin K, to clot the blood, they bleed to death internally.

The version I heard was it killed them because they can't burp. :eek:
I probably heard that from a small boy.

Latest posts