Roots How Far Have You Moved From Your Birthplace ?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
200 miles? I grew up in Massachusetts, came to college in Maine and never moved back. Both of my parents died fairly young, and my sisters are in California and Alaska. I do go back and visit a few old friends in the Boston area about once a year.

My husband grew up in the next town over, in the same house that his mom grew up in. His parents are deceased now too. His siblings are in California and Florida, so we don't see family much.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live almost 500 miles from my birthplace in Idaho. I'm 5th gen on dads side and 3rd on moms in that general area. But I didn't grow up there. Dad moved us 1000 miles south to San Diego when he got a job offer. With 4 little kids to take care of, and the economy in a tough way then, he had no choice.
But he and mom loved it and never wanted to return.

I guess I'm the odd duck in the family because I loved our visits back to see family and longed for a life there.

Grew up, married, had kids and then finally we were able to make a break for it and here we are now. This is home and will always be.
My siblings are all over the country, and the only family we have here is the 4 of us. Wouldn't trade it for anything, though I'd love to have my older sis closer.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
See not good between brother and I anymore half sis here disowned by Ma and m, her daughter has taken herself from all of us.......
BF and his son my family now, BF is 70 I am a few months shy of 57 before them I was going to retire to belgium may go back to Wisconsin with cousins in the end

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Belgium?!

That might be interesting for me since the first person with my family name in colonial America came from the "Low Countries."

;) The story from the LDS church is that he was Dutch, but coming from England. The Belgian connection is that the same family is there. Oddly, the name was used colloquially as an occupational term throughout England and there are families, not so much in England, but in Scotland! I still haven't figured that out.

;) digitS'
family of immigrants & natives

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well that is kinda complicated for me. I was born in CT so I now live about 1500 miles from there. I wasn't "raised" there, though I did live off and on a few times. I was raised traveling, before high school I had lived in 36 states been in 48. If you added all my childhood time together I probably spent more time (but not all at once) in Texas (all over) or in Stigler OK. So if your meaning the area you grew up in or spent the most childhood time in it would be Stigler and I now live about 60 miles from there.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am lucky I have a older and younger sister both live only hour away. My sisters took on most of the responablity when my mother was sick. My older sister works in White Plains so she often stops by after work. My little sister lives in Lagrange where I have the weekend house, holidays at her house is how I fell in love with area. My older brother moved to Florida many years ago. He had a lot of problems I ended up supporting him. I was never close with my brother to much past abuse but his son is like a son to me now.

Latest posts