ROSEMARY

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I doubt your temps have been cold enough to do the rosemary in. . .yet. I would dig it up and bring it into a freeze-free area.

I read that smelling Rosemary helps with memory loss. After a hectic morning, I could not remember 5 minutes later if I put DH's pills on the table and he said he did not take them, I said I hope I did not swallow them and realized, I HAVE NO IDEA IF i DID OR DIDN'T! lol Either I am crazy or he is. I am thinking of lining the window ledges in my house with Rosemary. LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know that about rosemary and memory ... or, maybe I once knew and have ...

I've been reading! This is the time of year for my once a year (or was it more often) jaunt into a novel. I think I may have found one, or maybe two. The second one hasn't come yet and doesn't come nearly so highly recommended. The newest novel is a Pulitzer Prize winner. Yeah! For a guy who lives in Boise. It's called, "All the Light We Cannot See."

The library has multiple copies but I suspect that I'm on a waiting list that runs down the street and around the corner! The older of Athony Doerr's novels, and there may be several, I thought could download immediately. Well, I got the first chapter, read that and came to the understanding that I'm waiting for the rest of it.

Anyway, having read one chapter of my 1 or 2 winter novels. I checked out a book of short stories by Boise's Mr Doerr, "Memory Wall."

The title is taken from one of the stories, 85 pages and I don't know that I even got out of the lazyboy before finishing it! An elderly lady is losing her memory. One of those memories is of value to a thief!

A scientific basis for story is that memories are not stored within body cells but between the cells. Maybe I should just call it a "notion" but it suggested a possibility to a scientist and the author. Perhaps, memories could be recorded, outside of the body and with no harm to the cells. Maybe a lost memory could be retrieved!

I think this is very possible and do it Aaallll the time! Yeah, I call it "taking notes" and one outside place to take notes is called TEG! Take notes, @Gardening with Rabbits !

Online, you might want to try Evernote. I've been using it for several years and carry around an app in the phone so that I can send or read a note when away from home. Since my cellphone case also has a pocket, I've got a notepad in there and my stylus, needed for awkward digitS' on a touchscreen, also serves as a pen!

Rosemary is good on roast beef!

:) Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't there one cold-hardy rosemary cultivar...called Arp, or Asp, or something with an 'A'? Maybe that's what you have. Someone here will know what I mean.

I have killed every rosemary I've ever had, long before winter came. I either forget to water or over-water.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, there is Arp, @journey11 .

Odd name - Texas town, but not even typically odd for that state ;).

I tried to get some ideas on rosemary when I decided that there should be times to propagate and have quite a few plants. I was more impressed with culinary uses than hoped-for, hardiness.

The big nurseries have mostly left Arp in a zone 6, with winter mulching, category. There are other choices in that group that don't have any special notoriety beyond a culinary one. It doesn't encourage me to leave them outdoors during our winters. Rosemary isn't much bother in a pot. They had best not have it too warm and watch out for spider mites.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never had a Rosemary live through the winter, so that is why I thought this was so odd. I looked at accuweather on the calendar for November and December and it shows we have been in the teens and once even 12 degrees, so this must be an Arp? It is even planted in a spot that is not full sun. It did not grow very much, so I may just dig it up and keep it in the house until spring, but I am also thinking of starting a bunch of herbs just for the house.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know that about rosemary and memory ... or, maybe I once knew and have ...

I've been reading! This is the time of year for my once a year (or was it more often) jaunt into a novel. I think I may have found one, or maybe two. The second one hasn't come yet and doesn't come nearly so highly recommended. The newest novel is a Pulitzer Prize winner. Yeah! For a guy who lives in Boise. It's called, "All the Light We Cannot See."

The library has multiple copies but I suspect that I'm on a waiting list that runs down the street and around the corner! The older of Athony Doerr's novels, and there may be several, I thought could download immediately. Well, I got the first chapter, read that and came to the understanding that I'm waiting for the rest of it.

Anyway, having read one chapter of my 1 or 2 winter novels. I checked out a book of short stories by Boise's Mr Doerr, "Memory Wall."

The title is taken from one of the stories, 85 pages and I don't know that I even got out of the lazyboy before finishing it! An elderly lady is losing her memory. One of those memories is of value to a thief!

A scientific basis for story is that memories are not stored within body cells but between the cells. Maybe I should just call it a "notion" but it suggested a possibility to a scientist and the author. Perhaps, memories could be recorded, outside of the body and with no harm to the cells. Maybe a lost memory could be retrieved!

I think this is very possible and do it Aaallll the time! Yeah, I call it "taking notes" and one outside place to take notes is called TEG! Take notes, @Gardening with Rabbits !

Online, you might want to try Evernote. I've been using it for several years and carry around an app in the phone so that I can send or read a note when away from home. Since my cellphone case also has a pocket, I've got a notepad in there and my stylus, needed for awkward digitS' on a touchscreen, also serves as a pen!

Rosemary is good on roast beef!

:) Steve

I just checked the online library and there are several copies of All the Light We Cannot See. Interesting to me because I was raised by 2 blind parents. I may start reading again. I used to about live in the library when I was younger. My mother was the same until she went blind. The last book she read was Gone with the Wind. After that she learned to read Braille and she had "talking books" for the blind. I looked up Evernote and that looks very useful. I do not carry a cellphone. I do use TEG for keeping track of my garden and I made a garden notebook and actually wrote things down and it has helped so much. My long-term memory is excellent, but this forgetting like do something and turnaround and 1 minute later wonder what you did just started and it has a lot to do with stress, so it is time to calm down and go slower.

Latest posts