ROSEMARY

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits, you are probably right about short-term memory being affected by stress. I am "the family memory". I remember just about everything that's happened in the past, but can't remember I turned the soup on to heat 5 minutes ago -- just before I started the car for a trip to town. It is so annoying! So frustrating! It's so frequent! Especially since at least two times while I was getting ready to leave, I remembered the soup only to forget it again seconds later.

Now that it seems I am doing everything around the house and yard, it seems I am forgetting things more often. The only thing I've been really good at remembering is the laundry. 36 loads for the two of us in two weeks.

I suspect sleep deprivation plays a big part in memory lapses as well.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am shocked of the laundry and have no idea how many loads we have for 4 people. lol I think I will keep track to find out, but maybe not. I think it is happening with me when DH is around. I can be in the kitchen and have too much going on in the morning. Normally, he would be gone to work and I would slowly drink my coffee in the morning, go feed the rabbits, and then get DS up and start cooking for us and calmly eat and I take vitamins and give DS some. Normally DD is already gone to work. Now, I am up a lot earlier because DH can't sleep, so I am first thing looking for pain medicine, DD is home, so helping her get her breakfast and things for lunch, talking to both, have not had my coffee, and get DS up and now pass out vitamins to 4 people. DH is TALKING and I have not had my coffee. LOL I gave DS his vitamins the other morning and took mine, DH said something to me, and I turned around and was going to give DS his again, and he looked at me like I was nuts. I said I can't remember. Just totally gone. Not like when you think for a second and then remember it, but this is gone. I don't think I have these problems when he is not around. I think you are doing the same. You said you are doing everything around the house and yard and that is the problem here. I have my old routine and then all these other things added in and I am not adjusting to it very well. I think I might have figured something out here. I think the vitamins and what happened with DH and his pills the other day, both times I was interrupted while doing a routine. The vitamins with my DS and my vitamins are like a little ritual and DH interrupted. The same with his medicine. I always give it to him in the morning first thing and he had got up so early and he was not doing his normal routine. I got his pills and turned around and he was not in the room and so I laid them down. Maybe routine things like, you really are not concentrating. I have no problem with my job or paying bills. Maybe you are doing the same with turning soup on, not thinking because it is more of a habit thing and something is interrupting. I do not have these vitamins wrote down. I just go get them take them, hand to DS, put toast in toaster, fry eggs, and even DS knows the routine and without talking we just get our pills like robots. lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hash marks on a post-it note, stuck on the dryer with a pencil nearby.

Nothing to it, GWR. Take that research in hand and squeeze the sense outta it ...

;) No, you go ahead and set your own priorities :).

We have something that's now called "muscle memory." It's like walking or riding a bike - we aren't supposed to forget it. The memory is part of movements. Yes, I think you are onto something. The interruption, catching our attention, perhaps just a brief distraction.

The tree branch that knocks our hat into the roadside puddle and we careen off while looking over our shoulder, crashing into the neighbor's fence. Or, the little flock of goldfinches in the bushes along the river and we lose two hours sitting on the grass, waking almost as if from a dream.

It may all become something of a dream without, perhaps, the routine. The hash marks for the dryer loads. The goldfinch lighting on our handlebars ... and, both delighting and embarrassing us for idleness, as we lie in the grass.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
GWR, I don't know how old your kids are, but could they be responsible for their own vitamins? And your DH, is he too ill to get his own pain medicine?
Could you make use of those 7-day pill cases, filling them on Sunday night, for the whole week?
Sometimes we tend to feel guilty because we are healthy when our spouse is not, and go over board in taking care of them, to our own detriment. (Maybe I am just speaking for myself, here)
I agree, it sounds like your forgetfulness is from trying to multitask, and having your routine interrupted. I have had a morning routine for the last 45 years, and a disruption from that messes up my whole day.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
two things...I use one of those pill holders for each of us. I cannot remember at all if I've taken something and I have to monitor DH.

Funny: my first husband left me and our infant for a married woman named Rosemary. I had a rosemary bush in San Jose that WOULD NOT DIE! I tried for 3 years to kill it and it wouldn't. I moved. When I moved up to Gold Country a few years ago, there are Rosemary bushes everywhere. I ignore them now. I don't water them, kill them or anything. They don't get any of my respect or help or precious drops of water. And they live on and on...29 years later.... :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugsMurphysranch, I'm guessing you really didn't try too hard to kill it. :hugs It wouldn't have been work the effort and wouldn't have changed your world.

You are much stronger then that.:love

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our rosemary lived out in the yard year round and grew and grew . When the wind blows quite hard, some of the branches can split at a major point and needs to be cut off. Even using 2" long loppers are a thrill and a half in cutting off a third of the split branch. Then when one wants to trim off another branch ....MMMmmmmmugh tough ! :th NO more Rosemery bushes for me ! :smack

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a rosemary that I shaped into a Christmas tree that was about 3 ft. high. Unfortunately it was planted to front of the order and I eventually took it out. I miss having rosemary even though I don't cook with it much. I'm tempted to get another one but then my neighbor 2 houses down has one and I can get all the rosemary that I want.

Mary

Latest posts