Roundup

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope. And that saddens me, as they are so good for you and I wish I liked them. Love so many other veggies and fruits, but there's just a few I can't wrap my tongue around without making a face or gagging.

Sounds like my youngest boy though his complaint is not taste but texture. He never has liked several vegetables. You were talking genetics earlier. What's so funny is they found a gene that makes people not like vegetables though you are supposed to outgrow it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like my youngest boy though his complaint is not taste but texture. He never has liked several vegetables. You were talking genetics earlier. What's so funny is they found a gene that makes people not like vegetables though you are supposed to outgrow it.

That's what they say! Hasn't worked so far for me. It's a taste and a texture thing for me on the beans, but just a taste thing on the beets.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The commercial I saw (again last night) was one of those "If you think that you or a loved one may have been injured by using Roundup contact Bottomfeeder, Scum & Fraud. You may be entitled to part of the bazillions of dollars class action lawsuit .... blah blah blah"
They specifically mentioned that an ingredient in roundup (glycol-something) had been declared a possible human carcinogen by the World Health Organization.
So my next question would be - who is the WHO ... and should I care what they say?

eta: What's up with beets? Are they the new superfood/cancer cure?

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO is a member of the United Nations Development Group. Its predecessor, the Health Organization, was an agency of the League of Nations.

Originally to reduce disease in world. Now they are taking on food ingredients to further enhance their job security. You sited their concerns correctly that Round up could possibly have a carcinogen in it. I know of nothing that doesn't possibly have a carcinogen in it.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, you could cause me to write a book asking questions like that and I don't have time. I need to go cook down some tomatoes. To me part of it is that legally we live in a risk free environment. If something could possibly have any kind of bad effect they have to warn us about it or risk getting sued. That's why a step-ladder I got years ago had the warning that if you step on any of the steps on that ladder you might fall off. Not just the top steps but any of them. Supposedly that would protect them in a lawsuit if someone fell off. That thinking has carried over into lawmaking bodies, they have to be absolutely risk free.

The WHO is not a lawmaking body, it's an organization that is trying to improve the health of people around the world. They are the ones trying to eradicate polio and reduce the huge number of yearly deaths from malaria so they do physical things. A big part of their job is to educate so they offer advisories. Sometimes treaties are written and ratified where we or other countries agree to work with the WHO but the WHO can't dictate to us, we are still a sovereign country. Should you care that they say? Should you care what the surgeon general of the US says?

I agree with Seed. Practically anything has something potentially harmful in it, especially if you are allergic or sensitive to it or if you overindulge in it, dosage is important. The young, elderly, or weak are more susceptible to many things or dosages that wouldn't phase many of us. Since the goal is zero risk they offer a lot of warnings, even if the risk is pretty low for a majority of people.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Warning from surgeon general: any one that eats food, breathes air or has a pulse is in danger of dieing. Please refrain from doing those things. ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And yet, ignoring risk makes little sense.

In 2 weeks, Dad will be 1/2 way through his 99th year. Never once has he played a game of basketball on the Interstate.

After quitting smoking nearly half his lifetime ago, he became vehemently anti-smoking. A stranger smoking in his presence gets his dander up. I felt the emotions had a positive benefit for his cardiovascular system.

I'm planning on adopting the same exercise in my olde age ...

:old digitS'

Latest posts