RUNuts 2018 Garden thread (attempt)

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Started seeds in the plastic squares I saved with bought dirt.
Zucchini, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, sweet banana peppers and thyme.
The peat pots are having issues. The tray is cracked. Made a try, now just need to dump it and put the peat pellets in a plastic box. No seeds in there because they aren't swollen.

Still planning to sow the peas directly.

Thank you for suggesting the t-posts. Got them planted today, buy wire this week and wire it up. How taut does it really need to be? If I do it right, I'll run parrots in July to clean up the spring plantings. Have 4 months to add smaller wire to keep everyone separated.

Used one of the dog kennel fence gates. Should have thought of that earlier. Much easier than trying to hang hinges, proper support and all. 2 t-posts, 4 zip ties and waiting on the fencing. Wire it all tight. Son asked if I was going to connect it to the parrot flight cage and enlarge the devastation they are causing. That is a thought.

Last edited:

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@baymule Returned to the scene! How taut does the wire have to or need to be? Planning on keeping the dogs separate from the parrots with this one and the garden protected from BOTH.

This is going to keep me awake tonight. :barnie

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is welded wire and you pull it too tight, it will pop the welds, that stuff is crap. Your dogs can bite right through it. If a woven wire, then pull it tight. "TWANG" oughta be 'bout right. :lol:

No come along? No problem. Make a wire puller with two 2x4's four feet long. Drill holes on each end and two in the middle, bolt them together. To put on the wire, put a 2x4 on each side of the wire, put the bolts through and tighten the bolts. Hook a chain around both ends and fasten to your riding lawn mower, start driving, but not too far. TWANG! it's tight enough!

Now, is that clear as mud? :lol:

Nighty night. Sleep tight. ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is welded wire and you pull it too tight, it will pop the welds, that stuff is crap. Your dogs can bite right through it. If a woven wire, then pull it tight. "TWANG" oughta be 'bout right. :lol:

No come along? No problem. Make a wire puller with two 2x4's four feet long. Drill holes on each end and two in the middle, bolt them together. To put on the wire, put a 2x4 on each side of the wire, put the bolts through and tighten the bolts. Hook a chain around both ends and fasten to your riding lawn mower, start driving, but not too far. TWANG! it's tight enough!

Now, is that clear as mud? :lol:

Nighty night. Sleep tight. ;)

That's the exact fence puller my dad made and used to chainlink the perimeter of our property when I was a kid. He used his VW Bug to stretch it, haha.

Latest posts