RUNuts 2018 Garden thread (attempt)

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@baymule welded versus woven wire? Crap, what is at Lowes? Welded?

Haven't bought anything yet. Didn't think I'd get this far this fast. Let's see. I've got a Tractor supply, Lowe's and Home Dept in the same spot and several hardware stores. Ace, McCoy's and Hill's. What should I ask? Sounds like I want woven?

When I move, I want to take it with me.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lowe's has the 5' tall, Red Brand, Woven wire horse fence. Item # 89896 Model # 70314 100 feet for $170. I'm fencing off a 50'x40' corner of the yard for this attempt.

Reviews? Comments? Donations?

I'm glad that this is just a hobby. This is getting expensive.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score

Yes, it can be an investment to get started for sure. One thing I do is I am constantly watching Craigslist for fencing supplies , lumber and other building materials. If you pick things up when you find a good deal on CL, or Facebook market place, and make a stash of supplies then it is not as hard on the old wallet when you want or need to build something.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lowe's has the 5' tall, Red Brand, Woven wire horse fence. Item # 89896 Model # 70314 100 feet for $170. I'm fencing off a 50'x40' corner of the yard for this attempt.

if you are trying to keep wabbits out, bottom four feet should be much finer weave than most fences sold as such. if you fold out bottom 1 - 1&1/2 feet the rabbits won't usually figure out how to dig under and it will help deter other pests too (chipmunks and ground hogs).

since for deer fence you want as tall as possible... 8ft is minimum here. also deters raccoons (won't keep them out if you have corn or something else they really like and can smell, but it does keep them from casually ripping stuff out).

2 inch mesh up top for groundhog keeper outer. those things are mowing machines...

but, hey, a good fence is well worth it as it can last 30-50yrs. just don't let heavy things grow on it and keep the trees from falling on it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...Thank you for suggesting the t-posts. Got them planted today, buy wire this week and wire it up. How taut does it really need to be? If I do it right, I'll run parrots in July to clean up the spring plantings. Have 4 months to add smaller wire to keep everyone separated.

sorry, i'm just giggling too much at the idea of the annual running of the parrots... *waddle* *waddle* :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

You mentioned that you will move and take it with you. So let's do this in such a way to make this feasible. Five foot tall is probably over kill. I used 2"x4"x4' woven non-climb horse wire from Tractor Supply. Lowes is too high. $$ We fenced 8 acres with it, cross fenced, made pastures, love this wire. Wascally Wabbits :he can go through it, dogs, horses, sheep and Asian Ground Parrots can't.:clap

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/non-climb-horse-fence-48-in-x-200-ft?cm_vc=-10005

Since at some point you will take this down, you do NOT want to stretch it "TWANG" tight. Reason being, you will stretch the tensile strength and it won't be worth a durn when you put it back up in a permanent location. You will want to stretch it just tight enough to keep it upright, which won't be hard to do because you'll have it clipped to T-posts. ALWAYS ask for extra T-post clips! Don't ask at the register, ask when you are loading them up. ;)

When you take this down to move it, be prepared to cut it in half. It will just be too hard to roll up 200' of this wire.

What else can I help you with? :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to add, since you will take this fence up, don't pound the T-posts in very far past the flange on the bottom of the post. Reason? Because you have black gumbo clay and it turns to cement when dry-it will be difficult to pull the post out.

A question, we might save you a lot of money and hard work, is keeping the dogs and parrots out of the garden your only worry? If so, you might want to put up this plastic mesh fence, it is cheap and will be easy to take down. It will not slow down a rabbit, but if they are not a problem, this just might be your better option. I put this around my first garden to keep the dogs out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...een-HDPE-Extruded-Mesh-Rolled-Fencing/3457520

010515780069.jpg

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, it can be an investment to get started for sure. One thing I do is I am constantly watching Craigslist for fencing supplies , lumber and other building materials. If you pick things up when you find a good deal on CL, or Facebook market place, and make a stash of supplies then it is not as hard on the old wallet when you want or need to build something.

I found the T posts on craigslist for $2.50. It seems with Houston as large as it is, there are a lot of people looking for deals. Got to be quick. The other thing is that all the stuff I might be interested in is an hour away. On the OTHER side of Houston. I did find a local source of pallets and shipping crates.

Living in a neighborhood, we get the stray possum. Seldom. So the goal is to keep Red (see avatar) out. She will jump a 6' privacy fence. AND has a strong prey drive. @baymule some very good ideas.

I wonder if the plastic stuff will work. These puppies also slice leashes in seconds. Chew collars off for fun. Hmm. Leaning towards the metal. Will look around at the other places for pricing.

Latest posts