Say Cheese!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like there r going to be some happy husbands tonite!!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the strangest TEG thread I can remember!

I'm almost afraid to mention that the original post was about calories!

Yes, NyBoy, I really believe that competent cooks wouldn't put mozzarella to the use I had for it. It is very acceptable as a sauce, to this humble peasant. It took alteration to accomplish. Funny how it was stringy and then it wasn't.

@Pulsegleaner , if you wanted to explore those Italian American dairy products in northern California, you just got another one with http://rumianocheese.com/ .

Seems I remember another TEG gardener whose husband's family lived in Crescent City, CA. My aunt and uncle lived there - dang, small town, small world!

Aaand, I have a cousin in Grants Pass and another nearby, @murphysranch !

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That link (or rather the fact that one of the cheeses they make is Dry Jack) reminds me of the one time I tried super aged Dry Jack (different brand). I'm not sure if calling it the hardest cheese I ever had is accurate, since hard things can still be brittle (a diamond or a sapphire is quite hard, but smashing one to bits is not at all difficult. But I can say it was the TOUGEST cheese I ever encountered. It was like wood Slicing each edible piece off required getting out the BIG cleaver (the one we normally use for heavy chopping score a groove into the cheese deep enough to keep it stuck to the blade, then hit the blade against a stone cutting board until the piece broke off then do it again and again until each piece was bite sized. Took forever. Even that goat cheese I liked (the one that was the size and shape of a discman and as hard as a discus) was easier (at least that one would fracture after a few cuts........

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
On this thread, afraid I might b winner, winner, chicken dinner....although this last time I had a lot of help. Actually not sure if I STARTED or piled on. :hu