Say Cheese!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was checking the calories on the package of cream cheese that I spread on my whole grain toast this morning, compared that to the tub of margarine - exactly the same ... I was afraid of that. Lo-cal cream cheese replaced the other years ago, I don't know how that package got back in the house!

The USDA nutrient database has just informed me that it's right to think that I will cut calories by nearly one-half with the lo-cal, fat-free almost 75%.

Dairy products are a way for me to feel I'm treating myself! We had an abundance of whole milk on the farm! Maybe this is a way for me to return to those days of cream & butter, milk & honey.

How should I replace cheddar in my diet? Ounce for ounce, it has more calories than the aforementioned. Swiss has as much. I don't care for processed cheese.

Steve
who seldom puts anything on his toast but, you know, life - it gets tedious don't it?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why do you need to replace cheddar? I thought cheese was good for you. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The neighbor kids came over to play with me Saturday while their mom went Christmas shopping:

"What should we play first?"
"Would you like to play with clay?"
"Who's Clay" the 6 year old wondered. :D

So I saw Steve's thread and thought, why would someone want to eat Rich?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Why do you need to replace cheddar? I thought cheese was good for you. :)

I don't go along with the whole calorie thing but...

A lot of cheese contains artificial preservatives, the healthy part is diluted with less desirable ingredients, and the milk usually comes from commercial farms so you can expect some kind of growth hormone and a lot of puss in it (from infected, over-worked utters).

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't go along with the whole calorie thing but...

A lot of cheese contains artificial preservatives, the healthy part is diluted with less desirable ingredients, and the milk usually comes from commercial farms so you can expect some kind of growth hormone and a lot of puss in it (from infected, over-worked utters).

...puss in my cheese? That's so gross! I guess I'm glad I have a cheese making kit. Now if only I could source some local milk that didn't cost $15 a half gallon.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay. Cheeze!!

A hundred grams of cheddar is over 400 calories. I can replace cheddar in my casserole with lo-fat cream cheese which is half the calories. It isn't quite the same and, even if it's okay in the casserole, it doesn't go very well on my steamed broccoli.

So, you are wanting me to return to the farm where Daisy filled her 2 1/2 gallon milk pail for us, morning and night? I've made cheese but it wasn't up to a very high culinary standard, that's for sure.

I'm looking for a type of cheese that melts well.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was checking the calories on the package of cream cheese that I spread on my whole grain toast this morning, compared that to the tub of margarine - exactly the same ... I was afraid of that. Lo-cal cream cheese replaced the other years ago, I don't know how that package got back in the house!

The USDA nutrient database has just informed me that it's right to think that I will cut calories by nearly one-half with the lo-cal, fat-free almost 75%.

Dairy products are a way for me to feel I'm treating myself! We had an abundance of whole milk on the farm! Maybe this is a way for me to return to those days of cream & butter, milk & honey.

How should I replace cheddar in my diet? Ounce for ounce, it has more calories than the aforementioned. Swiss has as much. I don't care for processed cheese.

Steve
who seldom puts anything on his toast but, you know, life - it gets tedious don't it?

Steve
I think we use more cream cheese than butter on our bagel-so no calorie savings at all. I would never use any margarine-loaded with all those bad fats. I use jelly.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could never give up cheese. It is my weakness. That, and coffee.

I've seen the cheese made with 2% milk, but I haven't tried it. It's lower fat, but that may take the calories down a bit too. I'm afraid there's no satisfactory substitution for real cheese.

I was reading something online last night about the newest diet trend revolving around how you combine your foods. I'm still not sure I understand it right, but non-starchy veggies were the only thing you could just eat without thinking about it. And they said fruit should be eaten alone, so many hours before and after separating it from other things you eat. The part about how carbs, fats and proteins should be handled is where it got a bit murky for me...more complicated.

My mom has lost 45 lbs. doing that Trim Healthy Mama diet. It works something like that, combining foods. It comes from a 600+ page book which I have no time or patience to read, plus I find the two girls who wrote it incredibly flaky and annoying. But for my mom at least, it did work. I know she got rid of nearly all sugar and white flour and cooks with things like spelt and quinoa instead. She made me try a muffin once... :sick

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ever made cottage cheese? I made some the other night - YUMMMmmmmmm
Much better than the watery stuff from the grocery.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm a little embarrassed to tell you about my cheese making ...

You see, I had a lot of milk. Every critter, dogs/cats/chickens began to look at me with an expression that said, "oh no, here he comes with more milk for us to drink!" I've learned since that lactose intolerance isn't just a problem for people!

Friendly microbes must have helped but I had experience with rennet because Mom used it for a dessert when I was a kid. Shallow pan, a day of sitting, cut it and pour off the whey. Quick, easy and the poor critters recovered some of their dignity. Well, recovered some free time, anyway ...

Okay!!! I haven't made pizza in 30 years, always had to buy the crusts ... Provolone and Mozzarella both come in skim milk versions with about 60% of the calories.

Steve

Latest posts