Seattle

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made it home. Train riding is much less stressful than driving or flying. Met a young service couple on last train ride, great conversation. Fantastic scenery along the way that is so much different than Midwest.

Seattle over all was great. The homeless are out of control. City feeds them and they show up like stray cats. Ate great food in local, ethnic dives that I can’t imagine the $60/meal restaurants do any better.

Enjoyed every minute but in the end, there is no place like home-which is why I picked to live here. Now to get caught up with my garden.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember saying on TEG that my maternal grandmother's family moved to Indiana, probably about as soon as the American guv'ment took over and told them that they could.

Two hundred years later, I'm sure that some of them are still there.

The family that moved away was headed by a widow with children from 2 to 21. She didn't remarry that I know about but sure positioned her brood right on the Trail West, about 1880. The man her daughter married had to go back to your neighborhood to kidnap his elderly father, a Civil War veteran. It kinda looks that way, anyhow ;). That way, the family qualified for a better homestead site in Idaho. It's likely that the olde fella was too infirm to make it back home after being exploited like that ;).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daughter hates to walk in town with me as these people are typical city people. Look down or away when they walk by you. So I’ve taken it as my mission to say “hi” or “good morning” to all. She says I act like Andy at Mayberry. I told her just call me “Gomer”.....

i do the same thing. for one i want to be sure it isn't someone coming at me in a bad way, but that isn't my first thought, i just like to look at people and smile if they're "there".

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daughter hates to walk in town with me as these people are typical city people. Look down or away when they walk by you. So I’ve taken it as my mission to say “hi” or “good morning” to all. She says I act like Andy at Mayberry. I told her just call me “Gomer”.....
When my step-daughter was about 12 she spent a week with her cousin in St Louis, seeing all the sights and shopping, I'm sure. When she came back, she announced that she had figured out how to act in a big city. "Just stick your nose up in the air and keep walking". :D
I am kind of like Seedcorn. I will speak to a stranger on the street just to get a reaction. Generally it is positive. :oops:

Latest posts