Secret Ingredients Corn-beef and Cabbage

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
St. Patrick's day is coming up. He is my hero,( wish he would drive the snakes from my land). I really like corn beef and cabbage, but this is the only time I find it on menus. I like it so much I want to try and make a large pot. Any tips or secret ingredients you use when making? Have poison control number programmed into phone LOL

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you have a good store see if they sell corn beef flats it costs a bit more but well worth it.
a brisket is made up of 2 parts the point and the flat....

and if they do not have the spice packet in it the spice section in the market they will have it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is one of those dishes that sounds a lot better than it really is. I have made it 2 or 3 times and each time I swear "never again!" Then 10 years or so later I forget how smelly it is when cooking, how way too spicy, fat, obnoxious it is when done. And so much! There is enough to feed an army, and it is so strong, you don't want to even think about it as leftovers.
If I could buy 2 servings, already cooked and sliced, I would probably do that.
Or maybe I'll just buy a Reuben sandwich. That will do.

...............I don't profess to be Irish..........

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy yes ask butcher for a corn beef flat.
we have a little market here in town they have one of the best meat selections and prices around
going to pick up 4 of their largest flats 2 for the freezer and 2 for the crock pot Saturday.

here's something to add flavor to it just before it's done pull it out remove the fat from the top, smear Dijon mustard and a hint honey over the top and place in the oven for 10 min and then set to broil till the top is nicely browned.. pull out let it rest 15 min and then slice..

made myself hungry again ....

Latest posts