Secret Ingredients Corn-beef and Cabbage

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the others have "HOW TO COOK" covered. Yes a crock pot or Nesco roaster works well depending upon how much you're cooking. We've done it every year for lunch at school.

Warning!! As was mentioned, this meal comes with a smell. My DIL made some over a week ago and granddaughter's clothes still remind me of corned-beef and cabbage.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major you make yours in a crock pot?
thats the only way to do it put it on low and slow hint.. let it cook for the first 3 hours by it self then add the carrots 30 mins later the potatoes 30 mins later the cabbage, cook till done this way all the veggies are still firm/al dente......

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The best corned beef I've ever tasted was made with orange juice!!!
I wasn't the cook so I don't know the full recipe.

THANX RICH

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the timely reminder. We LOVE it here. I plan to buy more than we will eat next week and put it in the freezer, too. Our local grocery store has the packages with the spice packet included. Your choice of brisket or flat. Flat does cost a bit more. I like it so well that I like the smell of it cooking. ;) I do prefer to cook vegetables separately. (Not wild about the flavors of the veggies cooked in the brine.)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love corn beef. I'm getting tired of boiled cabbage-the sulfides that come out of the cabbage. I know the wife will make it.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
For each gallon of water add: 6 big hand full of regular salt { not salt that is anti clumping} then 1/4cup of Sodium Nitrite {pink salt} One hand full of sugar { some people use Brown Sugar}

add your spices, you can buy them {pickling Spice} or mix your own, I'll give a recipe if you need.

Use a crock, plastic if you have to, for the mix hold your beef or whatever under with washed granite, something heavy, but turn it daily, at least 10 days, longer is better, try it both ways. Some just float the meat, turning it daily.

Call me when your ready to prepare it, I like it too!

You can cure without spices and cook with it, but it goes in deeper with the brine.

Richard

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy a point and a flat. Then when I slice it after boiling for a few hours, we mix up the lean with the marbled. I bought two points yesterday for $2.99 a lb! WHAT? Outrageous! They didn't have any flats.....

Latest posts