Seed Hoarders Anonymous

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMGP6042_web.jpg

I'm here to admit that I have a problem! In more ways than one, ha.

I just got done sorting through my seed collection, looking to see what else I might have to offer up on the seed train. All the Ziploc baggies are different categories. Some of them have 20-30 different varieties in them. You all know what kind of psychological struggle I'm going through right now, don't you?

I want to plant some of EVERYTHING. :celebrate But I don't have that kind of garden space or that kind of time. Ugh. Some of these seeds are starting to get a little aged and I should try to grow them out...at least my favorites...and the ones I haven't yet tried. Some I ought to just throw out, but I can't bring myself to do it! But they're living things...they have such potential! (I have the same struggle with thinning.)

@marshallsmyth sent me a whole bunch of cool stuff. I could plant nearly a whole garden on just what he sent me. (I suspect he's also dealing with this vexing addiction and was making a brave attempt to reduce his stash before someone accuses him of having a problem too.)

I've got to go through each baggie one at a time, do some germination tests and make some hard decisions. So where are you all at with your garden planning? Anyone else need to join a support group?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm right there with ya Journey. in fact I'll be signing up for a charter membership.

I laid mine all out the other day and started a comprehensive list. My idea was to have a list available so when I look at catalogs I can refer to my list to stem my impulsiveness.....

I don't think it's going to work. I was online last night feverishly throwing seeds in my cart. :confused:
Fortunately I got distracted before I got to the checkout.

There's something so exciting in the vision of all those seeds, sprouted and growing in a tidy garden, neat rows of little vegetable faces turned up to the sun. I can see me, humming contentedly as I stroll around picking the nights dinner offering.

How come I never see weeds, and sweat, and a dirty, too tired me in those visions?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
MY NAME IS MARSHALL
AND I AM A SEEDAHOLIC.

It all began as a small child with gourds.

Yes, that was when I commited my first federal offense, because of my addiction to seeds, and my strong urge to enable others to share my addiction.

While still 4 years old, before kineegarden even, I helped my mother plant the garden around the house we'd just moved into. It all began as I tore open an envelope of Ferry Morse Small Mixed Gourds.

Oh how I began in such ernestness! Mother planted one seed, and how fast it was I planted the rest of the seeds just like her!

Each day I watered them, amazed at how the fingers and thumbs spray the water just right from the hose, avoiding the strong urge to jump into the GORGEOUS MUD I was creating!

Soon there were at least a ZILLION plants!

Oh! I tended the weeds too! I had my seedaholism bad already!

My Aunt Eleanor would visit, driving to our house in her huge late 1920's vintage Olds, something that counted as a station wagon, bigger than some houses are these days... O but I digress in my issue avoidance strategies!!!

Group, I can't place blame on anyone other than my own self!!!

As summer progressed, those Gourd plants grew huge! Soon there were round ones, long ones, handled ones, yellow, green, stripped...of all kinds and sorts and sizes.

After eleventeen comes twelveteen, then thirteen.

After nineteen comes twentyteen of course! Dad said that was actually UMPTEEN. By then I had turned all of 5, and I had to learn to count them all.

So, what to do with all of them? All those gourds filled my toybox and under my bed.

So, CRIME OF THE CENTURY TIME!

I went all around the neighborhood and put one or 2 gourds into each neighbor's MAILBOXES.

Yes, my seedaholism enabled me to tamper with the mail system! At 5! My first federal offense!

But I was putting things in, not taking anything out! Just like Mr. Mailman. If he can, why can't I???

Ohhhhhhhh, then saving the seeds began! Bashed a gourd open with a rock, got those messy gooey seeds all rubbing around in my hands, wiped on my pants, and my sister's shirts, and my brother's hair! HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!

Secretly too! I spread those seeds on my open bed sheets, pulled the covers over them, forgot they were there, and slept with them!

Oh I got it bad! Julie at kineegarden thought I smelled really neato! Some of the other kids didn't though. Marty said I wet my bed still. DID NOT!

In a few days I had handfulls of seeds to hide! Aunty Eleanor or dad suggested I put them in my socks.

Oh and there were other seeds too. Dandelion seeds!

=====

If I corntinue my story it'll be a whole book so I best stop afore I start tall taleing!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I am ready to 'fess up. I, too, am a seed-aholic. :confused: Don't tell anyone outside of this group, though. Anyone wonder why I didn't join the seed train? I need a train with tracks that go only one way -- out! That way maybe I can unload ... er, :hugsshare some seeds with ya'll. Everything I have is Open-Pollinated and most likely Heirloom. That's all I've grown since I retired in '05.

Honestly, journey, :frow your table looks reasonable for a serious gardener. I realize that many of my seeds are probably past their time. Guess I should run some germination tests, too. Gonna up-date my list, toss the bad stuff, and check catalogs for new veggies:gig

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth , someone should make a movie about you and how it all began! I'd go see it!
smileyvault-popcorn.gif

@thistlebloom , I've done that exact same thing, a couple of times! What is it about those bewitching late night hours that totally throws all discretion to the wind? (If I'm going to post something stupid, that's usually when it happens too.) Up in the wee hours of the morning, greedily plotting and planning all the new varieties I want to try, like a kid in a candy store. Leave it for the morning to go back over and make sure I didn't miss a thing, but then I think better of it, close the tab and BACK AWAY. I have resolved myself to buy NO new seeds this year, except for parsley and cukes which I am out of and must have. Oh, and seed potatoes. That's it, I think.

Thanks, @Smart Red ! That makes me feel a little bit better. Oh no...wait, maybe you are just enabling me? :D

I also decided I am not going to waste my scarce and valuable time writing them all down this year. I'm just going to work straight from the baggies. The only exception to this is the bee-u-tee-ful beans from Marshall, Bluejay and some others I have. I'm going to photograph and catalog those.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
this sounds like this will become a bragging contest over who has more of what type of seeds in their 'collections'. :gig i will admit i am a 'collector' of many seeds over the years. my oldest seeds were from 2002 i finally planted last weekend. i have at least 20 large plastic coffee cans full of different types of seeds all categorized. i'm waiting for more seeds to arrive in the mail any day now. and this weekend i'm planning on getting more seeds started! :weee

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
this sounds like this will become a bragging contest over who has more of what type of seeds in their 'collections'. :gig i will admit i am a 'collector' of many seeds over the years. my oldest seeds were from 2002 i finally planted last weekend. i have at least 20 large plastic coffee cans full of different types of seeds all categorized. i'm waiting for more seeds to arrive in the mail any day now. and this weekend i'm planning on getting more seeds started! :weee

I know, it's finally upon us! Onions and broccoli go into flats this week!

I'd put off looking through my stash as long as I could because I know it's gonna drive me crazy to decide what's going to get planted this year.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too many seeds?? :ep

Nonsense. I have room for all the seeds I got for my garden this year.

Well...sort of.

The lettuce and the green onions are going to go into planters on my deck. I need to extend the garden out for my awesome new Thai beans, so they're not really going to take up any room...technically the cilantro is an herb so it can go in the herb harden...kale is for the chickens so it can go around the chicken coop.

*ahem*

Just need to discuss the "uprooting the entire front lawn" part with hubby for the rest...

Latest posts