Seed Hoarders Anonymous

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, this thread makes me feel much better about all the seeds I didn't mention in an earlier post, and the fact that some of them are from 2002. I feel so at home here..........:bow

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, this thread makes me feel much better about all the seeds I didn't mention in an earlier post, and the fact that some of them are from 2002. I feel so at home here..........:bow

Actually So Lucky. I blame you for some of my seed lust. I really think I need to try Kohlrabi in this years garden,:ya and of course Hal got me thinking I should plant some Red Kuri squash.
So naturally while I was looking for those two items I discovered lots and lots of indispensable new things to plant!

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just yesterday I was looking at the deer fencing around my garden (still locked in snow and ice) and thinking that if I move one post here, and another post there, I can plant out more of my stored seed. Problem solved! :celebrate Well, for a couple of months at least! :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
How long are seeds good for?
It depends a lot on how they are kept. In paper, then plastic (or a can) in the freezer would be probably ideal conditions. I'll let you know if my 12 year old broccoli seeds germinate.
Also, some seeds are notorious for short germination life. Like parsnips. Others for their long life, like tomatoes.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too many seeds?? :ep
Just need to discuss the "uprooting the entire front lawn" part with hubby for the rest...

Try Googling Portland, Oregon's front yard gardens. This was very common when I was a young'n and I believe it is still being done today. The front yard gardens were beautiful as well as productive. I walked down blocks where everyone had a garden in front, because most of the back yard was down hill.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, what So Lucky said.

Main thing to help seeds last is to KEEP THEM DRY.
Next most important is KEEP THEM COOL, not too much hot.
After that is TREAT THEM AS FRAGILE.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying but I'm mostly getting flower gardens. Found a cool article about "Front Lawn Farms" though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fedco (link) has what seems to me to be good information on seed longevity. Their isolation distances seem extremely conservative but I believe that info is there for people who grow Fedco's seed. If that is true, I appreciate it too :).

I must have good conditions in my basement and probably not so good conditions in the tool rack behind the seat of the pickup :rolleyes:. Still, I don't have too many chances to "get it right." Please think about how you could test germination numbers. 10 seeds started 2 weeks too early will give you an idea. I don't see anything that goes in the compost as "lost." Seasons can be lost, however.

fuddy digit Steve