Seed train like on BYC?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where have you been keeping yourself, @mothergoose ??

Does it take -30° to get you inside and on the computer ;)?

Well, @marshallsmyth has a few, small packets of General Mischief seeds to send out :). They are a nice, big yellow tomato.

Anyone can PM an address to me and I'll see that Marshall gets it ... he has internet problems in his remote home so I'll take on that small task.

Steve

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Life has just been busy...arrival of child #6 in Sept 2013 pretty much had all my attention. But he is much more independent now almost 16 months and plenty of siblings to entertain him. Garden was pretty small last year and I didn't start any plants last year. So, really looking forward to getting back in the dirt and going big this year.
I will keep an eye on the seed train.
Thanks,
Christie

Yulan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
For the 2015 season I would be happy to offer....

Jack O' Lantern Pumpkin
Long Thin Cayenne Pepper
Clemson Spineless Okra
Stowells Evergreen Sweet Corn
True Lavender

I would love to have these!
I have sunflowers...
“Red sun" sunflowers
“Autumn mix" sunflowers
“Skyscraper" sunflowers
&
White magnolia seeds (yulan)

KarenPolk

Sprout
Reaction score
Would anybody be interested in doing a seed train? On BYC they are doing one, but it moves awfully fast! Basically, you offer some seeds you have on hand. If anybody wants to accept, they reply to accept and in the same post offer seeds of their own. Full rules and details here:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129496

I'll start by offering Detroit Dark Red beets, or Perfected Detroit beets, or Bodacious sweet corn (hybrid), approximately 50 seeds each.
I used to do something similar to this "back in the day" with coupons and rebates. The difference is that we had "round robins". You'd sign up for the round robin of five people, and the group leader (#1) would start the robin with 20 coupons and a request list and mail that to the #2 person. The #2 person would look through the coupons and take out what they wanted and replace with the same number of coupons, trying to use the coupons on the request list. They'd include their own request list and their initial 20 coupons and mail it to #3. This would continue on through #5 and they'd mail back to #1. By the time I reached #1, there'd be 100 coupons and five request lists. We received our packet probably once a month and it just continued on. If anyone wanted to leave the group, they'd simply remove 20 coupons and their request list and mark their name off the list and when it got back to the group leader, they'd add a new person in that spot and when the coupons reached the new person, they'd add their initial 20 coupons. This could work here as well, but you'd probably want to have robins for seeds and robins for bulbs. Just an idea.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've not seen anything formal like that, but there are a lot of impromptu trades happening in various threads.

i'm mostly trading beans, but i just finished up what i'd planned on doing for this season.

i highly recommend visiting local seed swaps and checking out local libraries to see if they have seed libraries (and if they don't help set one up :) ).

Latest posts