Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I’m sorry.....you are the best. Lovely, smart dog who is learning to do your job-keep everything safe. Glad to see the other dogs have taken him into the pack. They need to unionize now and go on strike for fewer hours, better food and their own beds in the house.....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I’m sorry.....you are the best. Lovely, smart dog who is learning to do your job-keep everything safe. Glad to see the other dogs have taken him into the pack. They need to unionize now and go on strike for fewer hours, better food and their own beds in the house.....
That started out so good and ended up so wrong! :tongue

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

7646858E-2A44-4652-BEBD-D79512908F29.jpeg

@seedcorn are you still bored?

he looks so mellow and wise there. :) *hearts*

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our grand daughters for the weekend to give their parents some down time, which was greatly appreciated. LOL Yesterday the two littles, age 3 and 4, went with me to do chores. I fed Sentry and let them in his pasture. He was delighted! He joyfully licked faces and danced all around them. He ran between the 4 year old legs, this lifted her up and she face planted in the dirt. She came up crying, I ran to her, scolding Sentry, since she was in the dirt, obviously she wanted to play! I growled at him, using GET BACK! and walking into him. He got back and I picked her up. In a short time she was laughing. For a few seconds she looked like she was in the little kids mutton busting event at rodeos-riding backwards!

Sentry came back, but sat down at a respectful distance, watching. I called him to us and he was more subdued. Now for the good news! he did NOT jump on them or paw at them. He minded his manners and was good. I just didn't see the mutton busting coming.
:lol: Yesterday and today, the girls spent time with Sentry. I thanked them and told them they were helping to train him. He was extremely happy to see them, but behaved himself in a wiggly puppy way. Making progress.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good outcome on that correction. Aren't these 'Tolians intelligent dogs? Had a similar incident here today with Blue and my 1 yr old grandgirl. He knocked her over, got a correction and was respectful thereafter. He's not a real bouncy pup, so I was surprised he pounced on her but, man, was he easy to correct!

As a contrast, the same girl and Ben's encounter ended up with Ben dancing all over her after he knocked her down and before I could pick her up again. He's tied on a run right now and he's just full of it from lack of exercise, so getting him to listen to correction was tough. Had to use a roar.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I adore this pup. He is thoughtful in a way that he thinks about it after a correction. I do NOT hit or yell, just a firm voice or a growly voice. I didn't even have to use a finger poke to get him to stop pawing. When he pawed, I scolded, put my hands up, leaned back and refused to pet him. I was delighted to see that he did not paw at the little girls. They ARE easy targets, but he behaved himself so well.

So far, he has been pretty much restricted to Pasture #1, the sheep barn and the side pasture that leads to the back yard. A few times he has been let out in the yard to roam around. I want him to learn to mind, before letting him run out of control, but at the same time I want him to have some freedoms. I'll be working on more lamb time too. We need to take him to Tractor Supply and get him used to riding in the car/truck. More leash lessons too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't go feed until after dark yesterday. I always feed Sentry first, then feed sheep and chickens while he eats. He waits on me, then we take a walk (so he can poop LOL). We took our walk, I checked again on the sheep. Sentry alerted, ears up, stiff position, he "boofed" then ran towards the front fence, barking. I walked after him, then I heard it-coyotes across the road, in the distance, howling. It was a proud moment, he recognized the coyotes as danger, ran to meet said danger and barked to warn the danger to stay away. Good dog.

Latest posts