Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't go feed until after dark yesterday. I always feed Sentry first, then feed sheep and chickens while he eats. He waits on me, then we take a walk (so he can poop LOL). We took our walk, I checked again on the sheep. Sentry alerted, ears up, stiff position, he "boofed" then ran towards the front fence, barking. I walked after him, then I heard it-coyotes across the road, in the distance, howling. It was a proud moment, he recognized the coyotes as danger, ran to meet said danger and barked to warn the danger to stay away. Good dog.
Good Boy Sentry :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry is steadily making progress. He gets more time with the ewes and lambs. A few days ago, I left him with them all afternoon while I worked in the garden. None of them were running in terror, so that means he was behaving. I even left him alone for an hour or two and he did just fine. When I went to let him out so I could feed him, he started wanting to chew on the lamb's faces and ears. "Sentry! No!" He stopped.

He started barking at a neighbor a couple of weeks ago, I told him "Sentry! Hush! That's Enough!" He kept barking. "Sentry! Hush! That's enough". He sat down, wrinkled up his face, deep in thought. He looks so darn cute when he does that.

I’ve been picking up the guinea feathers that they are molting. I picked up one, deemed it too worn and dropped it. Sentry picked it up, with that wrinkled face, trying to figure out what I wanted with that silly feather.

E7AA9BBF-08C1-4935-B969-869D42B9660E.jpeg

5EB7006F-84B1-4B67-9497-9239B3B456CC.jpeg

I have one hen that refuses to go in the coop. She patiently waits for Sentry to leave his food, then tries to eat all she can. He’ll walk away, then realize that she is eating his food. He pounces AT her, never ON her. He never touches her, but she gets the message and moves away. He either finishes his food or lays down to guard it from her.

4EDEAD47-AFF3-4421-9270-BA0AA7E7A5F4.jpeg

770DD39F-5EC8-4857-9CBD-5382B2050BB6.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if he ever figures out what specific feathers you are picking up and starts helping, well, i'd say watch out as he's probably smarter than many people and we might all be in trouble... :) he's incredibly cute.

Latest posts