Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wednesday will be 4 weeks post surgery. Sentry continues to get better and better. Might seem like a small thing, but now, not every time, but I have seen him stand on his surgery leg and hike his other leg to pee. That is HUGE. He wants to run and play so bad, I don’t dare let him go! I snapped this picture yesterday of him and Carson playing, on what I allow to be on Sentry’s terms.

3D44711A-6718-4FBC-8D07-ED9672B9CF40.jpeg

That is true friendship. Carson geared it down to what Sentry can do.

I didn’t move the gate out on Sentry’s pen. Thinking about this week. Maybe. Just worried about him running up and down and hurting himself. We’ll see. Right now he is a dog rug in the living room floor. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s a drizzly day. I had 2 rows ready in the garden for planting English peas. I left BJ, Sentry and Carson in the house, ran out and got my English peas planted. These dogs have it rough.

Carson always sleeps in the weirdest positions.

DF942D8B-0874-4305-881B-BC436561AA9C.jpeg

Sentry clearly thinks the lights are too bright. Turn off the lamp!

5C3205D1-8BAB-4AD4-A3A3-249A47DE91BD.jpeg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
He’s had 4 weeks to heal. He’s fine. If he pushes a little hard, he’ll yelp and all will halt.

Glad to read of happy endings.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend on BYH asked about Sentry this morning. My answer;

He healed up and is able to go hang out with the other dogs and guard sheep. He runs, plays, but is definitely crippled. He rests the leg when standing and it just sorta dangles. His other hip joint is bad too, but I'm thinking that if we have it operated on, he won't have a good leg to stand on. We didn't have his shoulders x-rayed, but I think they are also compromised. Just watching his gait, the way he stands and the way he struggles to stand from laying down, this poor dog truly is a train wreck.

In the meantime, he loves me with all his heart and then some. He follows me, keeps me in his line of sight and lays at my feet at night in the living room. He watches the sheep, he runs the front fence with the other dogs, chasing off garbage trucks, kids on bikes, truck and trailers, motorcycles and other monsters that threaten the Dog Kingdom. He is a happy dog.

I have been observing him closely. In my opinion, his skeletal structure is so bad, that no amount of "fixing it" will ever make him right. The operation he had bought him some time. Literally it bought time for him and for us to love him. I would do the same thing in a heartbeat. I will not put him through another surgery.

He spends the night on a dog bed on the screened in porch, it is where he chooses to be. He and Carson eat in the kitchen, BJ feeds the dogs. By evening, he is exhausted. Living life at full speed takes a lot out of a compromised dog, but I won't take that away from him. He is sleeping on the porch now, waiting on me to go outside and do chores. I don't allow the dogs in with the horses, mainly because Prince likes to play and would probably hurt them. Prince is such a butt...… If he were to kick Sentry, it would more than likely be life ending. Sentry, true to his name, waits patiently at the gate until I come back out. I've been letting Joe and Pearl graze the yard and Sentry follows them, guarding them, especially Joe.

I passionately love this dog and it is slowly tearing me apart to have to come to the decision to not "save" him, but quietly and lovingly let him go when the time comes. I will not prolong his agony. I watch him go about his daily life, being a dog and living his life to the fullest. I do not regret the first surgery, but there will not be another one.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wednesday will be 4 weeks post surgery. Sentry continues to get better and better. Might seem like a small thing, but now, not every time, but I have seen him stand on his surgery leg and hike his other leg to pee. That is HUGE. He wants to run and play so bad, I don’t dare let him go! I snapped this picture yesterday of him and Carson playing, on what I allow to be on Sentry’s terms.

3D44711A-6718-4FBC-8D07-ED9672B9CF40.jpeg

That is true friendship. Carson geared it down to what Sentry can do.

I didn’t move the gate out on Sentry’s pen. Thinking about this week. Maybe. Just worried about him running up and down and hurting himself. We’ll see. Right now he is a dog rug in the living room floor. LOL

Ask your vet about turmeric to help with inflammation etc. I give it to my dog for joint pain and he acts like a puppy--if he misses a few doses he walks like a little old man.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ask your vet about turmeric to help with inflammation etc. I give it to my dog for joint pain and he acts like a puppy--if he misses a few doses he walks like a little old man.
We take it ourselves. I mix it with coconut oil into a paste. We take a teaspoon, then drink something to chase it down. It works in about 30 minutes. Thanks for the suggestion, it won't be any trouble at all to mix a teaspoon in his food.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We take it ourselves. I mix it with coconut oil into a paste. We take a teaspoon, then drink something to chase it down. It works in about 30 minutes. Thanks for the suggestion, it won't be any trouble at all to mix a teaspoon in his food.
Bay ... you have your head screwed on right . Just do not let someone talk some nonsense into it .
A friend on BYH asked about Sentry this morning. My answer;

He healed up and is able to go hang out with the other dogs and guard sheep. He runs, plays, but is definitely crippled. He rests the leg when standing and it just sorta dangles. His other hip joint is bad too, but I'm thinking that if we have it operated on, he won't have a good leg to stand on. We didn't have his shoulders x-rayed, but I think they are also compromised. Just watching his gait, the way he stands and the way he struggles to stand from laying down, this poor dog truly is a train wreck.

In the meantime, he loves me with all his heart and then some. He follows me, keeps me in his line of sight and lays at my feet at night in the living room. He watches the sheep, he runs the front fence with the other dogs, chasing off garbage trucks, kids on bikes, truck and trailers, motorcycles and other monsters that threaten the Dog Kingdom. He is a happy dog.

I have been observing him closely. In my opinion, his skeletal structure is so bad, that no amount of "fixing it" will ever make him right. The operation he had bought him some time. Literally it bought time for him and for us to love him. I would do the same thing in a heartbeat. I will not put him through another surgery.

He spends the night on a dog bed on the screened in porch, it is where he chooses to be. He and Carson eat in the kitchen, BJ feeds the dogs. By evening, he is exhausted. Living life at full speed takes a lot out of a compromised dog, but I won't take that away from him. He is sleeping on the porch now, waiting on me to go outside and do chores. I don't allow the dogs in with the horses, mainly because Prince likes to play and would probably hurt them. Prince is such a butt...… If he were to kick Sentry, it would more than likely be life ending. Sentry, true to his name, waits patiently at the gate until I come back out. I've been letting Joe and Pearl graze the yard and Sentry follows them, guarding them, especially Joe.

I passionately love this dog and it is slowly tearing me apart to have to come to the decision to not "save" him, but quietly and lovingly let him go when the time comes. I will not prolong his agony. I watch him go about his daily life, being a dog and living his life to the fullest. I do not regret the first surgery, but there will not be another one.

Bay... you definately have your head screwed on right... just don't let some bleeding heart try to realighn it in the wrong direction. :cool:

Latest posts