Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia and underwent Femoral Head Ostectomy surgery. I started a new thread on BYH on the Livestock Guard Dog thread.

He is doing well, is in a large dog crate in the living room and is starting to use that leg. We are on Day 5 of post op. It has been an emotional roller coaster. I channeled my inner Alex Limato. :rainbowflower I know he's around, checking on Sentry.
I will keep y'all updated on his progress.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Good news is that he is young and will heal better. Just one side bad or will you have to have other side fixed as well?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Good news is that he is young and will heal better. Just one side bad or will you have to have other side fixed as well?
Both sides. This side will have to heal and be strong enough to support his weight when the other side gets done. We will have to wait and see how it all plays out. The vet is very optimistic because of him being so young.

We haven't put the cone on him to keep him from chewing his incision. He started to lick it and without raising my voice and said aahhnnnnttt. He stopped and looked at me. Later on he started to lick it again and I simply said no. He stopped and studied me for a moment. After that, he looks at it and doesn't lick it. What dog does that?

February 14 was our 24th anniversary, we spent it at home with Sentry. This is Day 6, post op and we finally left him for a few hours while we went to town. Right before we left, I gave him a bone to keep him busy. He did fine, I was afraid of him getting anxious, after all, he has been a free running Livestock Guard Dog. He is in a large dog crate, he has to stay confined. I walk him on a leash for potty breaks and can take him on slow walks. It will be a 2-3 month process. He is learning the fine points of spitting out his pills, ducking his head when he has to go back in the crate, and realizing that wonderful things come out of the kitchen. I keep him on a leash unless he is in the crate.

Latest posts