Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could use Sentry over here for couple of weeks to work turtles. How's he with snakes?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
He generally avoids snakes. Paris was my snake killer, she was fascinating to watch. Had to put her down at 13 years old. Haven’t had a good snake killer step up to take her place.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you want a more peaceful life i'd train him to leave them alone, that way he won't get bitten, he won't bark at something that won't hurt him if he doesn't mess with it and best of all, then you don't have to worry about him being injured.

all it is doing now is teaching Buford to do the same thing. which means even more potential injuries and trouble.

i would also do that for snakes and armadillos.
Yeah, right. Sentry is a Livestock Guard Dog. They are almost a species unto themselves. If it doesn’t belong, it’s got to go.

Hahaha, yep, Buford is taking notes. So far, he’s rather bored with turtles. Sheba is totally disinterested in turtles, maybe Buford is taking notes from her too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hahaha, yep, Buford is taking notes. So far, he’s rather bored with turtles. Sheba is totally disinterested in turtles, maybe Buford is taking notes from her too.

i hope so! i'm just not into drama and would like it to be quiet unless there's really something i need to know about. i love turtles. they're not worth fussing big time negative over, if i could train a dog to be happy and playful about it i'd like that instead. :)

happy trails... hope you don't get rained on too much again today. :) (more turtle weather...)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry stopped another turtle invasion. I saw it in the back field a couple of days ago. It was at the fence at the middle field and Sentry was raising ruckus over it. I put it in a bucket and let Sentry ride in the truck to take it away.

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

Sentry is now stretched out in the floor, tired from protecting the sheep from turtles.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry is sick. Last October he nearly died. I took him to the vet, got the usual round of medicine, but he got worse. I captured a urine sample and took him back. He spent a week in the hospital on IV and antibiotics. I brought him home with more antibiotics and prednisone.

He hasn’t been himself lately. His happiness is gone, no sparkle in his eyes. He doesn’t meet me up front when I turn in the driveway. His appetite is good, but something is wrong. Just not right.

I captured a urine sample this morning and took it to the vet for Sentry’s appointment. Sentry’s bloodwork showed slightly low white blood cells, but not bad. Urine had blood in it and once again, his bilirubin level is high. The vet mentioned the possibility of an autoimmune disorder.

Sentry has antibiotics and prednisone to take and the vet wants another urine sample next week.

I’m going to set up the big dog crate tomorrow and Sentry can come inside during the heat of the day. He and Carson don’t get along, Sentry is aggressive towards Carson. So I’ll have to figure that out.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry is in the house, I set up the dog crate. If Carson is in, Sentry has to go in the crate. Even sick, the Anatolian male dog in him growls at Carson. I put a towel on the floor for Sentry, he’s laying down, drowsy. He started his medication this morning. He’s sick and he feels bad.

Latest posts