She Likes This, He Likes That

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is isn't it major :lol: I try to do that....really I do. Somethings I can get away with. Others....I cannot.:barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
just google ... pumpkin and parmesan casserole
Nooo!

Well, there are all these pumpkin puree and pasta casseroles! Williams-Sonoma even sells a pumpkin parmesan pasta sauce!

Well, this is interesting ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure!

Oh yeah. But, DW is probably right, a buttercup squash is more flavorful and better.

See, with more flavor, you can add more half & half ;).

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Butternut squash? Ohhh...I love butternut squash. I seed mine and then microwave it. I eat the whole thing too!! Not to me matters...if hubby does not like :clap

Oh....and the chickens ...of course..get the seeds and the skins. :weee Makes for happy chickens.

I learned with acorn squash...back when I grew some....that the green ones are the sweet ones. The yellow spot, renders them ...nasty :sick

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had problems with the flavor of acorn. A shame because it matures so early. Yellow spot, huh?

No, buttercup. Burgess buttercup has been in my gardens for 25 years or longer. It is quite trustworthy for maturing properly. Butternut, yeah but not always.

Steve ;)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is isn't it major :lol: I try to do that....really I do. Somethings I can get away with. Others....I cannot.:barnie

heres a good one for yeah. last weekend had a hankering for homemade hamburgs dw and i went to the store and picked up a couple chuck, sirloin steaks and sourdough buns and waffle fries. that afternoon he finally got up while i was trimming up the steaks he asked whats for dinner? i am making homemade steak burgers.
you could see the gears whirring in his head, all here could say was "pass".chuckle..
ground up the steaks. made the patties later pan fried them he came out and looked thought you were making steak burgers,umm yes we are i ground the steaks into burger meat, he was reluctant at first. mom how come your burgers never taste this good ! because i only buy the ground beef.. we looked at each other and had a good laugh..

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have much patience with extremely picky eaters. We all have a few things we don't like, but when the list gets extensive, I lose patience with all that and cook how I like. " Take it or leave it" is a mantra at our house. :D I'll make a few concessions at times but when it starts to make the food less enjoyable for the group, that all ends.

I'd LOVE to have excess pumpkins for my chickens, so if you know anyone who has a flock, you might offer your excess to them...tell them the birds eat them better after they've fermented and then lost most of their fluids. Rip them apart like sharks in a feeding frenzy when they are like that...it must change the sugar content to ferment and it also softens the rind down enough that it can be easily consumed.

Sheep love them like that also, so anyone with sheep would benefit from them as well. Most livestock can make use of them, so if all you have planned for them is plowing them in, you might offer them to someone who's trying to raise livestock on the cheap.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that we are empty house, I prefer to make whatever I'm in mood for. Wife makes TOO much and we end up eating left overs for ever. She needs to be banned from grocery store as she is always hungry when she goes and everything looks good. I keep telling her (to no avail) that there are only 2 of us and I eat lunch out-not that hungry at night.

When kids home, we were always on run with work, sports, school events, etc; so we didn't eat even close to healthy a lot of times. Kids never appreciated the garden as much.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh...it's tough enough cooking just for two. Some recipes....leftovers are best. Other recipes....I recycle the meat into other goodies. And stuff like chili..too little left over ..makes good topping for tamale pie, or maybe a burrito for the next days lunch. :thumbsup

Latest posts