She Likes This, He Likes That

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The DW isn't picky and neither were the kids. If they had been, it probably came to majority votes but I can't remember that. Mostly, we didn't know (maybe they didn't either ;)) until they left home and missed things we'd hear about.

Our meatloaf fell into that category. It could have been because I came to insist that it wasn't solely a "beefloaf" - chicken and turkey. DW likes to get some bacon in it. I prefer that to be cooked and crumbled. No filler beyond the veggies .. :) I don't know how special - tastes are different and it reflected mine + compromise.

A lot of times, I think of what I didn't like as a kid but I'm faced with the same ingredients. Probably, taking ownership makes me more receptive. Mom was willing to give me some choices in what I was up to in her kitchen. That made me willing to try.

DW just said today that we shouldn't cook too much at a time - new, for her! I've always noticed how she is ready to go on to something else while I'm still on the leftover shelves ... in her defense, it does make it easier to live with someone who likes to cook.

Besides, who was it on TEG who said leftovers make the best pot pies? Dang! You don't know how many times I've wondered how to do that right! My shepherd's pie with mashed potatoes is a side step because crusts aren't my friends ...

;) Steve
plotting leftovers suitable for pie

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I turn my soups and stews into pot pies and it's even better that way than as a soup...not a scrap left behind. As for the crusts....I used to be able to make a perfect crust, but lately I've had some problems with that...don't know why. I've even resorted to buying store bought crusts in a pinch and to make for a quick meal, but I'm not a fan of them either.

Still working on the crust...will let you know when I get it right. I think the difference is that we used to use a recipe for many years that we got off the back of the Robin Hood flour sack, but those days and the recipe are lost to time and memory and I've not been able to find a recipe for crust yet that can compare. Still searching...will let you know if I find "the one".

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW uses my mother's recipe:

2 cups flower
½ tsp. salt
2 or 3 tsp sugar
¼ tsp baking powder
¾ cup Crisco or margarine

Mix well with your hands, then add cold, cold water with fork. (DW leaves water in fridge for awhile with ice cubes in the bowl.) Form with your hands & put on a pastry board & roll out to fill pie tin.

I don't think Mom got this from a cookbook. I'd think an editor would question the clarity of a fork used to add water.

Mom never used ice cubes. I can remember a time when to do so would have meant chipping them off the block in the "ice box." ;) She also had no experience with the new Crisco but DW uses it and, if anything, has a better crust than Mom's.

Steve

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW uses my mother's recipe:

2 cups flower
½ tsp. salt
2 or 3 tsp sugar
¼ tsp baking powder
¾ cup Crisco or margarine

Mix well with your hands, then add cold, cold water with fork. (DW leaves water in fridge for awhile with ice cubes in the bowl.) Form with your hands & put on a pastry board & roll out to fill pie tin.

I don't think Mom got this from a cookbook. I'd think an editor would question the clarity of a fork used to add water.

Mom never used ice cubes. I can remember a time when to do so would have meant chipping them off the block in the "ice box." ;) She also had no experience with the new Crisco but DW uses it and, if anything, has a better crust than Mom's.

Steve

We use a fork also, or what we call a "flour cutter"...an old kitchen utensil consisting of a red wooden handle attached to several thin wires shaped in a bow. Can't get much more simple than your recipe, so I'll give it a try and let you know if I pulled it off...will be making soup this week, so the pie should follow if there are left overs.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like almost everything, except mayonnaise and ketchup. :sick DH had a long list of "I don't like" but I cooked it anyway and he ate it. He got over it. He doesn't like butternut squash, but I do. One thing he does love is SUGAR. I could sprinkle sugar over a cow turd and he would eat it. :gig

Latest posts