She Likes This, He Likes That

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish made me think ... as I'm trying to find a use for pumpkin, uncarved ... neither Major' nor his DW like kohlrabi. That's fine. Neither DW nor I like arugula. What if one or the other of us like these things and the other doesn't? What if we can't afford those telepathic receiving units that @dewdropsinwv has installed in @MontyJ ?

I like growing lots of food. We sell pumpkins but there are always some left over. I had irrigation problems in the pumpkin patch this year and still left quite a few misshapened ones out there to be tilled in. Waaay more than we could be eating over the next several months.

DW likes zucchini. I don't! She even prepares eggplant in very zucchini-like ways. I just want Eggplant Parmesan!!

I found some ideas for subbing pumpkin for zucchini last winter. Both of us are convinced winter squash is better for pumpkin pie but, except for the pumpkin bread, DW claims she doesn't like pumpkin ......!

Are there any work-arounds to the she likes/he likes?

Steve
you don't suppose that pumpkin and parmesan in a casserole ... nah.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lots here in this house hold. I like most everything! DH won't touch broccoli, mushrooms, olives and olive oil, soy, yoghurt, all squashes, whole wheat breads, and quite a few other things I find out the hard way.
Anymore, I will ask him first before I cook something. If he says he doesn't like it, I can find something different to cook for him.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! @moxies_chickienuggets , I'm that way with tomatoes.

Years ago, I was startled to learn that DW thought she only liked cherry tomatoes. I decided that we could grow some pink or yellow/orange beefsteaks. I'd never had them before.

They were mild but delicious. DW liked the pinks. Now she has come around to liking the yellow/orange. This year, I saw her deliberately eating a red!!

Steve ;)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tomatoes seem to be a picky thing too. DH refuses to eat any thing like a cherry tomato. If it is red, and a tomato, I'll eat it. Vine ripened of course. ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course feed some of the excess to your chickens. That probably won't put a dent into the total you have but chickens make great garbage disposers.

The only work-around I know to the he likes/she likes is that we each prepare our own lunch. I fix what I want, she fixes what she wants. For supper, it's things we both will eat. In either case, I generally wash the dishes.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chickens!??? Ha. Anytime I give them anything people food......they feel speshiall :lol:

Yesterday, MIL sent home some of her bag of "chicken treats". Some corn muffins, grapes and lettuce. I tried to give some grapes to the Barred Rock roo...he gave me a dirty look. He wanted the muffins. :gig

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over the years, as I have tried to clean up our diet, DH has tried a few things he previously wouldn't eat, out of necessity (eat it or fix yourself something else)
So now, he gladly eats tomatoes, sweet potatoes, mustard, spinach, peppers and kale.
He used to eat lots of lunch meat and canned soups. No more. Still can't get him excited about any kind of squash.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner , I no longer have chickens, not even one.

Here's a life lesson: Do not name your chickens ... beyond Supid Chicken, #1 Chicken, Greedy Chicken (actual names I have used, repeatedly in some cases). No, Olivia died this summer. She hadn't laid an egg in 2 years! Edna died almost 2 years earlier. I mostly have kept hens in a coop with an outdoor "porch" and didn't want to mix young and old. Never, have I kept a chicken past age 2 since Goldie, when I was a very young kid!

Now, DW wants us to go back to having pigeons, Birmingham Rollers. I could never figure out what to do with them. She likes having them around.

I want Number 1, 2, Greedy ..! I've got an idea for converting the chicken house to a toolshed ... (could give me an excuse to have that chicken tractor I've always wanted to build, but don't tell DW!)

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The only ones of my chickens that get names are the broodies and the breeders. The rest....get invited to supper. ;)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' just google ... pumpkin and parmesan casserole holy cow there are some very interesting recipes for it...

it's funny how everyone has their personally tastes, for instance here at the house.
me:
don't like broccoli, but if dw make a cream soup with it i will eat it
don't like sauteed mushrooms, but like mushrooms on a pizza

dw:
does not like fresh spinach, but will eat it steamed
does not like sausage, but will eat a sausage chicken gumbo
does not like beer, but she sure cooks quite a bit with it

dd:
does not like cherry tomatoes, but if we dice them for a salad and not tell her she eating them
does not like yellow onions, but will eat a sweet yellow onion

ds:
does not like steak, but will eat it anyway ground or in a stew
other than that he's a eating machine

amazing how you can hide the taste of one with another and will eat it....

Latest posts