Should We Talk, Cukes?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's been a great farm dog. Will be getting another Lab pup this fall, Lord willin', to train up to help him on the job, as he's getting some age on him. It will keep him young to have a pup around, will keep him warmer this winter and will help him guard the chickens with a fresh set of eyes and youthful vigor.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's been a great farm dog. Will be getting another Lab pup this fall, Lord willin', to train up to help him on the job, as he's getting some age on him. It will keep him young to have a pup around, will keep him warmer this winter and will help him guard the chickens with a fresh set of eyes and youthful vigor.
Not only will you train the pup, but the new dog will also learn a lot from Jake.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping, though Jake is not a leader at all....he's very much a submissive pack member. I'm going to get a female in hopes she will become the leader of the pair. Jake was raised by another farm dog of mine, a female named Lucy, and he was very content to let her lead.

Here's a pic of the dynamic duo. Lucy was finally too old to chew or get up and down without pain and had to be put down, but she was one wonderful dog and great at her job.

900x900px-LL-7f976143_82_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_016.jpeg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woodchucks will eat everything but have priorities. They eat all of my friends tomatoes. They will not touch mine as they like other crops much better. I am fenced she is not.Broccoli and peas and beans are their favorites. But only when young and tender.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The pests I sometimes have trouble with in the cucumber patch are the beetles and stink bugs. It seems that they prefer summer squash, however.

I need to take very direct action because they are determined to survive anything casual and the organic pesticides aren't too deadly. Pyrethrin should kill the insects but I need to lift leaves and vines to find them as the bugs hide. Spinosad provides the good one-two punch against survivors and late arrivals.

I don't believe that either of these 2 insect killers works for eggs so one or the other should be repeated in another week. So ... in a bad beetle year, it takes 15 to 21 days & 3 sprayings to put down an outbreak. Fortunately, these events have not occurred often.

Steve

Latest posts