Show off your pumpkins

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That one isn't really warty in the classical sense (I half suspect it was half Hubbard squash, based on the texture and smell). There were SO MANY warts it was really more like an undulating surface. But the important bit was that the warts were not suberized (woody); that made the job doable.

Compare it to last years which was a no hope View attachment 22500 View attachment 22500View attachment 22501

THAT one proved to be half gourd, and had enough gourd genes to have a SHELL under that skin

I actually suspect the one carved tonight might have some squash in it too, given that skin pattern (looks like a turban) If the insides turn out to be bright reddish orange, I won't be surprised.

That farmstand over near Central Ave always has some wacky pumpkins (thier corn this year is also surprisingly diverse, a blessing in this low corn year)
Coolest pumpkins ever!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Looks like a good FUN way to get rid of extra pumpkins!
I feed the extras to my horses and chickens. The chickens work on the insides. I throw the others to the horses and thus breaking into pieces. (Just read an article about cutting into pieces to avoid choking, but HONESTLY, if you feed your horses beFORE treats they don't bolt them. THAT's why some horses bolt, bc the owners don't think for them. I have seen choking on hay before, when my horse is really hungry, so it does happen, but many horses over the thousands of years survived this. We live in a Worrywart World!)
I need to know how to hLikeandle squash vine borer. I cannot plant my pumpkins in the Spring bc the vine borers kill them. I had rotated beds, but they still find them. This year I planted in July and got nice fruit, but I think they would have doubled in size if I COULD have planted them with the corn in April.
Would diatamacious earth work?
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/diatomaceous-earth-squash-vine-borers-53748.html
Also, several squash were chewed up by squash bugs this summer. AGAIN, I have rotated and still get them.
ANYBODY with solutions gets one of my Full sized Hershey bars for Halloween-ween (one ween.) :hugs

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feed the extras to my horses and chickens. The chickens work on the insides. I throw the others to the horses and thus breaking into pieces. (Just read an article about cutting into pieces to avoid choking, but HONESTLY, if you feed your horses beFORE treats they don't bolt them. THAT's why some horses bolt, bc the owners don't think for them. I have seen choking on hay before, when my horse is really hungry, so it does happen, but many horses over the thousands of years survived this. We live in a Worrywart World!)
I need to know how to hLikeandle squash vine borer. I cannot plant my pumpkins in the Spring bc the vine borers kill them. I had rotated beds, but they still find them. This year I planted in July and got nice fruit, but I think they would have doubled in size if I COULD have planted them with the corn in April.
Would diatamacious earth work?
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/diatomaceous-earth-squash-vine-borers-53748.html
Also, several squash were chewed up by squash bugs this summer. AGAIN, I have rotated and still get them.
ANYBODY with solutions gets one of my Full sized Hershey bars for Halloween-ween (one ween.) :hugs
My chickens forage my gardens in the winter and I never seems to have borer problems anymore. My squash bug population is also way down. I had a big problem with them when I used leaf mulch around my squash and pumpkin plants.Try a variety of pumpkins as they like some more than others. Also If you can grow them on a fence it does seem to help. One other trick-as the vines start to grow cover a section with soil every few feet. They will form roots and if the beginning of the vine dies the rest will grow on. The ends seem to be where the pumpkins form anyway.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Those are GR8 ideas! I will pull out the "Peck and Play" this Fall and let the girls go to town. My squash bugs multipled this year. SICK TO DEATH OF THEM!!!! It irks me ALmost as much as watching my horses nibble on burdock, and realize that THEY could solve the problem, but don't want to.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy Halloween!
CAT_2199.jpg

Latest posts