Slender as a Thread

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is organic sugar. I get that at soap.com-very tasty. Most of our sugar comes from GMO sugar beets. Note the sugar label. Used to say pure cane sugar.I'm sure anything you like would work-honey? I do not know anything about celiac and spelt. It is not gluten free.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I was going to say that I think spelt has gluten. I see Cat has mentioned that, too. Thanks, catjac, for posting that recipe. I will definitely give this a try. Maybe several, if the first doesn't turn out wonderful.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reading that recipe, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good one for whole wheat. Or, if spelt may be easier to work with to make whole grain breads!

There are some other of these wheat related grains. I bet @Pulsegleaner could give us a list.

A neighbor was telling me about a friend with a small farm. I can't remember what his second crop was but one was triticale. I had to go back for the umpteenth time to read again that triticale is a hybrid of wheat and rye.

Just changing our diet may be a healthy positive ...

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I can try. Just bear in mind that most of this is hearsay. I HAVE grown a lot of these (or have seed and am planning to) but only in experimental amounts which wind up in vases; I just don't have the ACERAGE to grow them in the quantities one would need for consumption.

The oldest kinds of wheat are einkorn (Tricicum monooccum)and Emmer (T. diooccum). Both have grains that do not thresh free easily and heads that shatter readily so cleaning the grain is a PIA. Einkorn is generally only still grown and eaten in some pretty obscure areas It's grains tend to be small as well as hard to thresh.

Emmer is what the ancient Greeks and Romans ate. It's basically einkorn tetraploided which happens naturally from time to time (in fact when I grew my einkorn, a few plants did it and wound up looking far more like emmer than the rest of the einkorn.) Emmer isn't as popular as it once was, but you should be able to find it at most health food stores (under it's Italian name of Farro)

At some point emmer crossed with a kind of goat grass and then doubled again, making spelt which is technically hexaploid 9f you are counting each copy as a copy, regardless of what species it came from). this later crossed back to another wheat found most of the modern wheats which are octo

Which ones you can eat depends on what kind of gluten you have a problem with. A lot of people have their problem with the gluten of the one for bread wheat. Some have a problem with the goat grass one, which knocks out not only bread wheat, but spelt durum, poulard (a kind of giant wheat, in both grain and plant) and rivet (T. tugitum) My Grandma was like that, she was actually wheat allergic, not gluten allergic.

I think that Emmer and Einkorn are a little bit easier on some people, since they don't have the goat grass gluten.

There are also a handful of really obscure species that have totally different crosses. There is a second wild species called Uratu which, when doubled forms something called Timopheevi wheat which is only found in some parts of Middle asia. Others in that group of weirdoes include Vavilov wheat, Isphanii wheat, Pterosky wheat and so on. These all however are pretty hard to get (there's a guy in Canada who has all of them (Prairie Garden seeds I think) but you have to be willing to take the risk of it not getting through customs.)

Outside of those I get a bit faded. I know that for those people who have a problem with barley gluten, the kernels of Job's tear are often a good substitute. Though in that case, your problem will be finding seed for the eating kind (the kind you string on necklaces is just as edible inside, but you'll need a pair of pliers to crack each seed open and get the hull off. I think there is one person in the SSE who is offering an eating one, but if I'm wrong (or he doesn't have it anymore) you'd basically have to do what I do; visit a Chinatown herb shop every week and hunt for the few kernels the hulling and polishing machines missed (and the machines are getting better at not missing any.)

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm making banana almond cookie-cakes, so I'll be gaining a few pounds in the next couple months. =0

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made them a couple years back, were supposed to be cookies, you know, crispy. But they turned out like a soft, moist cake instead. Which, I very much so prefer!
Found the recipe for banana cookies, love almond slivers so added a bag full and an extra banana because...why not? lol
I also don't have two pans and didn't want to bake one set, wait, and bake the next. So I just spread it out on a big pan and use a pizza roller cutter to cut them to smaller squares.
Three are already eaten. Previous years, I gained 15#, that's how many I ended up baking and eating. :D Whoopsies!
No one else wanted any and they're too good to give to the livestock/dogs.

10344828_871673409532835_27850663430462421_n.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I came across my beer recipes while gathering tax files and put them carefully back in their folder. I haven't made good beer working only by myself and will just leave it at that ...

Farro out, @Pulsegleaner ! I was talking to my son about a peas, cheddar and rice casserole I'm hoping he is making. How about farro for something like that? Pearled ...

Hey, Mary Ann Esposito has a farro casserole :).

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dunno, as I said, I have never tried to actually cook any of those.

The casserole sounds a little like the time my mom made Black Death Paella (basically a normal paella using black "forbidden" rice" Also how we found out there are some stains that cannot be removed even from stainless steel......

Oh and I got one of the names wrong (on the off chance you were planning to look any up, it's Petropavlovskyi not Petrovsky. That's the lake with the pretty fossil coral stones (no, wait that's Petrosky)

Latest posts