Slender as a Thread

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
thCACF51CC.jpg

Drinkin' green smoothies daily.
Down 8 pounds!

"doin the happy dance - drinkin green juice - doin the happy dance - drinkin green juice"
sFun_crazydance.gif

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not really a recipe.
I start with a base of a hand full of kale, a little water and a cored apple. Two little 'bullet' blenders of that to make a quart of 'liquified alien' juice - which I keep in the fridge to make about 4 smoothies from.
Then when I get hungry I can add just about anything else. Usualy it's a couple spoonfuls of greek yogurt, a banana, and a packet of 'instant breakfast' powder. Then some berries, or some carrots, or some cinnamon, or some almond extract, or anything else that seems like a good idea at the time.
Last week I had saved the juice when I used some homemade salsa to make cheesy dip for the super bowl party. I used that as my liquid and skipped the fruit. It was spicy hot - like a V8 on steriods. Very good.
The 'trick' is (I guess) that they are VERY filling and anything that I toss in that blender has got to be better in the end than a couple sausage biscuits and a coke. Sometimes I have another one for lunch - which beats the fat out of a burger and fries.
I can't 'do' hungry. I've tried. But with these as breakfast, I'm full, feeling better and slowly dropping weight.
:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here, I grow all that kale ... :rolleyes:

DD also tells me it makes a good smoothie.

Kale plants would probably make it through this winter just fine. Do you think your smoothie would have been okay frozen at some stage in the process, Debbie?

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a post on FB the other day where someone had taken the thick 'base' and froze it into cubes. That way they could just toss a handful of them into a blender with water to start a smoothie.
Haven't tried it - but it seems like a do-able thing.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The base? That's just kale and apple, not much taste and really lumpy. I use it as the liquid to start off with.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raw kale has .49 kcal per gram, according to the USDA.

If I did the math right :rolleyes:, I would have to eat 9 pounds of kale each day to gain 2,000 calories. People usually eat about 2 pounds of all foods, daily.

That is the thing about some veggies. They may be loaded with vitamins but many have very few calories. I read somewhere that we burn more calories chewing celery than we gain from it. I don't know how they measure that but we don't have a ruminant's digestion. We would slowly starve on a diet of some vegetables.

Now, if we can convince ourselves that dropping dead won't occur before the first sunset ...

Steve

Latest posts