Slender as a Thread

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
no scales in this house. don't like 'em. I had lost quite a lot, gained some back, now slightly losing it off again.
I want to lose it and eat three slices of French toast like steve is doing. that's the way to lose weight.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't gain winter weight. I've been at the same weight for more years than I care to think about. My job keeps me busy climbing ladders and stairwells all day long, add to that the physical labor or running wire, bending conduit, etc, etc and I stay about the same 210 year 'round. Too much BBQ and beer keep me from loosing anything :p DW watches her weight like a hawk. She's the same skinny little thing she was when I met her :/

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still have plenty of what I prefer to call 'baby weight'. Unfortunately for me, my baby is 36 years old! I lost a lot of weight (intentionally) my last year before retiring. Started running around the gym the first day of school and ran every day. Then I started with upper body exercises and finally I added floor exercise and stretching. The change was dramatic and I retired in better physical shape than I'd seen in many years.

Two weeks after I'd retired I was given an injection of Novocain - despite having that listed as an allergy on my medical chart. The result was what I refer to as a complete muscular break down. It's taken eight years recovering from that injection. This year I have felt much more like my old self and have been able to work on my own far more than in the past. Still, all those years of not being able to do much had me losing all my strength and endurance and gaining back the weight.

Since the last week of April I have changed my diet and lost . . . er, worked off. . . 29 pounds. Each day finds me feeling better and doing more. Being outside working in the yard and gardens is much better than being stuck inside! Of course, gaining at few pounds of winter weight and losing it in the summer like DH does would be a lot better than my carrying around way too much weight for way too many years.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
Since the last week of April I have changed my diet and lost . . . er, worked off. . . 29 pounds. Each day finds me feeling better and doing more. Being outside working in the yard and gardens is much better than being stuck inside! Of course, gaining at few pounds of winter weight and losing it in the summer like DH does would be a lot better than my carrying around way too much weight for way too many years.
WOW! :weight :weee :thumbsup

CONGRATULATIONS! That is really a lot of weight in a short period of time. How did you change your diet??

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What a great thread!

I've lost 5 lbs but changing my diet and I've been moving around a whole lot more with the gardens and chickens/guineas to look after. I cut soda completely out of my diet and I eat most of my fresh veggies out of the garden. Lately its been a lot of zucchini and squash from my MIL's garden and cabbage from the neighbor's garden and lettuce (salads) from my garden. I still have to buy a few veggies from the store but it's not much. I make a point to walk out to the chicken coop several times a day to count heads and check water-ers. Most of the time it's just an excuse to go watch the chicken channel for a while :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stony Garden, in my opinion, cutting out soda was the best thing you could do for yourself. People don't realize how much they consume in calories when they sip at a big gulp all day long. Even if it is a "diet" soda, the sweet taste has been proven to mess with your insulin production, and the caffeine is not that healthy for you either. So, GOOD FOR YOU!!:clap

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I still drink caffeine products. I have 2 cups of coffee every morning (sugar and creamer added) and flavored green tea throughout the day (along with water).

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I quit smoking for good 1 year and 3weeks ago, it took me only 9 months to put on 40lbs. Then in march I changed Drs he changed my heart meds around and within days I started feeling much better. As of this morning I am down 21lbs, without really trying to diet to much. I was on the old meds for 7 years and did not feel very healthy the whole time, glad DW convinced me to change Drs it has made me feel much more energetic and lively. hopefully I can keep taking off this weight without telling myself I am dieting or things could go south quick lol.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector said:
I quit smoking for good 1 year and 3weeks ago, it took me only 9 months to put on 40lbs. Then in march I changed Drs he changed my heart meds around and within days I started feeling much better. As of this morning I am down 21lbs, without really trying to diet to much. I was on the old meds for 7 years and did not feel very healthy the whole time, glad DW convinced me to change Drs it has made me feel much more energetic and lively. hopefully I can keep taking off this weight without telling myself I am dieting or things could go south quick lol.
Good on ya Collector! Hang in there. It's a little disturbing knowing what a difference there can be from one Dr. to another. How do you know which one is a good one until you've gone to them for awhile? I'm glad you took your wifes advice. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow!

March?

April?

Despite falling far short of those accomplishments, I feel like I've done well! I signed for some prescription skin medicine the other day and told the pharmacist that his machine made my "Steve" look like "Slim" . . . He said, "It's okay."

Then, I hitched up my pants and drew myself to my full height, pulled in my pot belly and he added: "Slim."

Steve :p
who didn't quite lose the pot belly in 2012 with only 1/2 of the usual summer weight loss. if i could just keep it off :rolleyes:.

Latest posts