Slender as a Thread

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beside the soaking beans, DW has this "industrial" 12 grain breakfast cereal that I like on the stove. I was telling her that we probably have a very healthy diet planned for today. Cheap too!

Steve

Hey @digitS , what is this 'industrial, 12-grain, cookable cereal'? Something yall make??

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm sad cause it looks now like I am struggling with my weight. I still look ok but I've noticed that I've gained a couple pounds and I know where. It's going straight to my tummy and I can now feel love handles starting! Yikes! I know I haven't been eating as well as I should. Every day, I've been eating a candy apple that has caramel and peanuts. I tell myself that I need to buy them now because they are a seasonal item at our store! I've also become addicted to having a slice of toasted wheat country bread with a nice thick spread of whole milk ricotta cheese. So now I am eating more bread and carbs!

I've also made some changes to my workouts. I'm doing a strength program 3 times a week and am not doing the cardio workouts. I think I'm burning less calories than what I'm eating. Now, I also have a whole bowl of my favorite halloween candy that I'm dipping into. Everything tastes soooo good! All the parties I've been going to have really good food and I'm not stopping at one plate! I know I shouldn't have seconds but I tell myself these foods are treats. Who am I kidding? I really need to get back on the wagon. :th

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey @digitS , what is this 'industrial, 12-grain, cookable cereal'? Something yall make??

No. We make a drive up to Green Bluff (a local fruit growing area) about this time every year. This is where we stock up on apples but there is a place that must buy that cereal and repackage it. DW feels that we should always stop to buy some.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sLo_comfort.gif
@ninnymary . Jump back on that wagon before you're in need of shedding double digits like me.

What's in this wonder breakfast food Steve??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We haven't made that run to the orchards yet this year, Cane'.

I wonder if it is about the same as this one: "Cracked wheat, rye meal, steel cut oats, cracked triticale, hulled millet, barley flakes, thick flaked oats, brown flax seeds, buckwheat grits, white sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, golden flax seeds."

That's a Canadian outfit.

I may be in trouble. I only lost 7# this summer! It is the least I have lost thru any summer since I have been keeping track. I didn't even lose the 8# I gained over last winter.

I felt run down to a frazzle often enuf. But, being tired isn't the same as burning calories or getting into shape. I feel like I did what I could short of eating better and not having so many syrupy coffee drinks. Ha!

I can do better. And, better do the best I can to keep the weight off this winter ...

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, stay away from those syrupy coffee drinks! You know they have too many empty calories.

Cane, you're right. I just had my second piece of toast with ricotta and some more candy....ugggg

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I seriously think it is the HFCS that is in everything, messing with our endocrine systems. I eat very few processed foods, but still manage to ingest some. It's in ketchup, salad dressings, cereal, bread, just about anything that comes in a box.
Mary, you are at a critical age right now. The weight gets really hard to take off as you get older, and if you are already eating pretty healthy, you start wondering what you can do without. It's probably easy to lose the weight if you are eating healthy after having existed on drive-through fast food 4 meals per day for years, but what if you are already doing everything you know to eat right? And the weight still creeps up?

edited to add an "s" to HFCS

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was disappointed to read a little on that study that seems to point to some sort of messing up of our bodies by artificial sweeteners with regards to diabetes ... I'm not a diet soda and such guy, however.

Lots of things are sweet, in the fruit section of the produce aisle. If apples make me fat, I'm in trouble.

If I've got this figured out about right, around about a cup of apple is 50 calories. The same amount of high fructose corn syrup is nearly 900 kcal.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ can be your guide to foods and calories.

Leafy greens have such limited calories they absolutely represent a starvation diet but I would have trouble eating 40 cups of apple slices to get my 2,000 daily calories, too!

Steve

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So lucky, what you say is so true. Every 10 years, I notice i go up in weight. It seems like I'm at a new threshold. Many of my friends, and especially those at the gym who are overweight, tell me not to worry about it but of course that's hard for me to do. I know I'm healthy and strong for being 60 but I don't like my belly getting bigger and the weight and fat going to my torso. You know, that fat that hangs over your bra, those love handles (which I don't know why they're called that if we don't like them), and your stomache hanging over your jeans. :th I guess I just need to focus on more positive things. :rolleyes:

Mary

Latest posts