Slugs

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we lived in San Jose CA, raising our kids, its was a fun past time, waiting for the school bus, to toss the snails out into the street and see how many were squished by the bus. Simple pleasures for us simple minded...
Snail's are not so bad, you should have thrown the warm slimy gut gurgling slugs. Oh how I hate those vile things

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

encourage frogs, toads, snakes, raccoons, etc. all of these will happily eat slugs and snails if they can find them. and birds too for sure...

the border around our gardens is crushed rinsed limestone and we rarely have slug issues in most of the gardens.

the board trick is what i use when i see a problem starting up since i have to go out early most mornings anyways to have a few boards to check here or there is ok.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good morning afternoon or evening

Can anyone give me some ideas for a home made spray. Way back I soaked garlic into water and can't remember if this worked on green beans . I'm trying to grow a few in a pot and some low down pest has bitten the best leaf off
I must do something to end this, we've had a large amount of different flies this year, it must be something to do with the heat wave we had.

Any ideas gratefully excepted :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smash a whole head of garlic with a hammer. Don’t bother peeling it. Put in a gallon of water. Add a half cup of hot sauce, 1/4 cup Palmolive liquid dishwashing soap and let set 2 days, stirring often. Strain and add 1 more gallon of water. Spray one leaf to see if it burns it or not. If the leaf is ok the next day, then use your home made spray.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we lived in San Jose CA, raising our kids, its was a fun past time, waiting for the school bus, to toss the snails out into the street and see how many were squished by the bus. Simple pleasures for us simple minded...
Where I lived in San Jose (just off Camden) we didn't see many snails. But when I lived in San Diego, there were countless thousands of them in the landscaping along the highways. They lived under the ice plant that was often used as ground cover. When it was dry, they were invisible; but when it rained, all the snails became active. One day I turned onto the on ramp for I-8, and suddenly found myself spinning out of control for no apparent reason - I wasn't going that fast. When I recovered the spin, I pulled to the side of the road to wait for my heart to slow down, and walked back to see why I had lost traction. The ice plant had just been irrigated... and hundreds of snails were crossing the ramp. :ep It was like driving on grease.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Where I lived in San Jose (just off Camden) we didn't see many snails. But when I lived in San Diego, there were countless thousands of them in the landscaping along the highways. They lived under the ice plant that was often used as ground cover. When it was dry, they were invisible; but when it rained, all the snails became active. One day I turned onto the on ramp for I-8, and suddenly found myself spinning out of control for no apparent reason - I wasn't going that fast. When I recovered the spin, I pulled to the side of the road to wait for my heart to slow down, and walked back to see why I had lost traction. The ice plant had just been irrigated... and hundreds of snails were crossing the ramp. :ep It was like driving on grease.
:barnie I've only just found this and I'm not too far off going to bed. Now I will have nightmares . Thanks @Zeedman

Latest posts