Snow, milk and Bread

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, shoveling snow off the sidewalks and driveways are usually done by the property owners. In areas with little "normal" snowfall, there would be no reason for snow blowers or plows on trucks other than the few owned by the City. Shovels for the bigger stuff or brooms for the dustings are the only choices.

For older or sedentary adults, the stress of shoveling after years of relatively low activity can easily bring on a heart attack. Happens every year here in Wisconsin as well. For me, this year the concern is DH having a stroke from the extra activity since his brain has areas of aging blood vessels prime for rupturing.

When lots of snow is predicted, DH used to do as digitS' and go out several times to keep the amount of snow removed at any one time 4 inches or less. It is just easier then trying to remove the whole 12 inches at once.

While I can be bemused at a populace getting upset with the kind of storm in the East this weekend, I cannot ridicule them for getting upset. Not only are they ill-equiped to deal with the storm, but their cities don't have the resources and equipment allocated to snow removal that Northern cities where many snowfalls are expected have.

My concern is totally for keeping everyone safe and getting through the storm as quickly as possible.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay the city gives you a short time period to clear your sidewalk if not done your tickketed. Some older people my father one of them refuse to pay someone to do it for them. Shoveling heavy snow is back breaking work.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a 'Heft' attachment for our snow shovel for easier shoveling, haven't had to use it since I bought it 2 years ago, mind you we've still got February to get through. In a way it's almost like a kid getting a sleigh for Christmas and not a flake of snow in sight. Now that I've said that we'll probably get dumped on. If possible when it does snow here I like to at least keep the steps swept off, so much easier than having to shovel.
http://www.theheft.com/

Annette

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here you get a ticket AND the city hires someone to clear your walk at an inflated price. Fewer and fewer young people are willing to get out and help neighbors for free or for a charge anymore.

When we lived in the city -- a corner lot of course -- I would start shoveling when DH left for work and be finished in time for me to leave for work. DH got the driveway.

Having the sidewalks cleared was important since we lived on a highly-traveled route to schools. Iff'n you don't clear them first, they are so much harder to do.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amen! There's no WAY I'd live where they dictated your snow removal efforts. No amount of money, luxuries, perceived benefits, etc. would make me live where I was not free to do as I please on my own land.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live 100 yards from an elementary school.

That is 100 yards by sidewalk, straight lines and a right angle turn. The sidewalks across the front of the properties were put in and paid for long before I got here through an agreement by neighbors.

Many busses pass in front of my house. Many parents deliver and pickup their children by car. For a residential street, there is a LOT of traffic on school days.

I doubt that I would be fined for not clearing my sidewalk. I doubt if I would be sued if someone fell on it. It's far more likely that kids j-walking would be hit by vehicles.

I enjoy living close to a school and seeing the kids walk by and play on the school field. I want them safe no matter where I live.

Steve

Latest posts