So I've got these onions....

that_crazy_lady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Me and my grandmother both LOVE onions, we cook them in butter and eat them like candy. lol. but they keep sprouting green. what I was woundering is what I could do with them. I know I can still eat them. but I guess what I'm wanting to know is how do you grow more onions from one? It mite seem like a silly thing to ask, but I'm really green. lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They will go to seed, Jocelyn. I am assuming that these are sweet or yellow onions from the store.

If you want seed from that onion, that would be the way to get it.

2010 onion sets were grown in 2009, however, they were not given enough time to fully mature. Still, they are "keeper" varieties and have been stored through the winter for setting out about now.

Onion plants, that we can find in the garden centers, were grown from seed sown sometime this winter in a warm area like southern Texas. They are pulled and shipped around the country.

Onion seed was harvested in 2009, packaged, and made available this year. If you have a plant bloom and make seed, you can grow 2011 onions from that seed.

Steve
Welcome to TEG :frow !

edited to make that read that this year's seed was harvested last year. Sometimes, I'm kind of lost, too . . .

that_crazy_lady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
that is kinda thanking. so do I need to plant them, let them flower....I'm still a little lost?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never saved onion seed except once from some Walla Walla sweet onions. I haven't done it since.

For me, sprouting storage onions just go in the compost.

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering the same thing so I planted 3 sprouting onions in my flower bed about 3 weeks ago. I knew it would flower but I was wondering what would happen to the bulb of the onion. I wasn't sure if it would be like tulips and divide. Anyway I'll let you know at the end of summer what happened.

Latest posts