Soil for Raised Bed

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter's 4' x 16 raised bed is complete. It is 20" high. She filled it with 1/2 of the soil that she had in her yard and planned to fill the rest of it with top soil. Well they didn't have topsoil and my son in law got a yard of compost instead. If they filled the rest of the bed with it, the ratio would be 50/50. Is this too high? Should she just add half of that truckload of compost and go back for topsoil?

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not think it will be too much. I have heard of people planting directly into compost. Mix it up and it seems to me it should be o.k.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I first started my big garden, I had nothing but compost. It wasn't perfect- but we certainly had a nice harvest... Every year that goes by, the soil will get better and better. Can't wait to see what she grows in these beds!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most compost, the more the better, even straight. Compost that's hot with manure or other fertilizers, that you'll have to be careful with.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, she did listen! We moved the bed about 2' from the house.

I haven't seen the compost but she said it did smell like manure. That's why I was concerned. I wasn't sure how fresh or aged it was so I told her to just use half. She gave some to the neighbor and has some for me. I feel bad that she could have used it all instead of giving it away. She was fine with it and will get some top soil to finish filling the bed.

Lesa, I got her some kale, swiss chard, bok choi, several lettuces, and basil plants from my grower. We plan on planting them this weekend and hopefully getting some tomatoes also. I keep telling her to plant what she likes but she just says that she's happy with whatever plants I get for her.

In a few weeks she will plant green beans. I'm not sure if she should go with bush or pole. It seems to me that the pole will be harder to pick since the bed raises their height. Golden zuchini will follow in April. She is really excited and nervous since this will be her first veggie garden. She has been reading the Sunset gardening book and the Golden gate Gardening book which is awesome so I think she will be fine. I just keep telling her to watch the watering.

It has been fun working together with her on this project. So far, at least 1 out of 3 of my kids has started to enjoy gardening. :)

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could have her read through the posts here too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I think it's so neat that she's gardening and you get to mentor her! :hugs

My oldest told me last fall that this year he wants to grow some herbs to cook with.....I'm hoping to be a part of that. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm so excited when I hear you guys are passing down the gardening bug! :)

When my little one is all grown up, I sure hopes she gets back into gardening and gets her family involved. :)

Latest posts