1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. A "cute" garden bug is eating ALL my peas!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Solving the Squash Bug dilemma...for good!

Discussion in 'Diseases & Pests' started by ducks4you, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Jun 17, 2019
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

:lol: Exactly right. :cool:

flowerbug likes this.
  2. Jun 17, 2019
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

I no longer have a problem with SB and SVB which I attribute to good weeding and the chickens inn the garden.. As for row covers. I did not leave them on all season. When they were large I removed them for pollinating. That was quite some years ago. I swear by the chickens in the garden for the winter.

3. Jun 18, 2019
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Without vine borer experience but there are both squash bugs and cucumber beetles here.

One recent year, the end sprinkler failed and several zucchini wilted a bit. Wow. The squash bugs moved in on those plants in a big way! Usually, they aren't too much trouble.

Contact sprays aren't very effective so I'm in agreement with @Ridgerunner . While Spinosad should kill them but it probably works better if it touches them, also.

What has worked is spraying pyrethrin. It's said that touching the bug is not necessary. The insecticide is a nerve poison and inhaled. It isn't persistent and the bug sometimes awakens from a nonlethal dose. I return to re-engage.

Yes. I do my best to spray under the leaves.

Steve

flowerbug and ducks4you like this.
  4. Jun 19, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    That's the trick for me. If I let them free range in the garden, even beginning or end of season, Eva will chase them, then I will be hunting for birds, alive AND dead. I have a 4' x 6' "Peck n Play", but it is a bit of a pain to use. MIGHT use it this weekend before I plant. It isn't easy to remove the birds, but not impossible. Good thing I own a net.
    It's pretty nice. I don't like the 6 aluminum pegs, BUT I could use tent stakes. A few years ago I used it and had a cat laying on top! If I use it, pictures will follow.

flowerbug, ninnymary and catjac1975 like this.
  5. Jul 3, 2019
    Redd Tornado

Redd Tornado Attractive To Bees

SVB is the Bain of my garden existence. Sorry this is a long post, but this year I tried a 4 step approach.
    First, I started the seedlings early. To get ahead of THEM. I have a high tunnel and live in the deep South. So early is January. I up potted as needed.
    Second, I put my babies in raised beds - plastic garbage cans cut into thirds. I put lids under the rings, and filled with clean (Purchased) compost. (I usually use my own compost. But I was desperate. I mean really, how can you call yourself a gardener if you can't even grow zucchini...) I read that SVB lay their eggs in the soil climbs up the vine and gnaws its way into the vine. I wanted to make sure the bugs didn't winter over.
    Three. I cut open the compost bags. I read at Clemson exchange that they use white mulch which confuses the bugs. I tucked the bag white side up into the beds. Cut a slit and planted the zucchini.
    Four. Diatomaceous earth all over the vine. Repeatedly. After each rain and watering, using a cheep duster.
    And this year I got zucchini. I can hold my head high now.
    The SVB did get the plants in the end, but not before I got enough zucchini to put up and give away.
    I'm going to do the same thing again but I think I will buy kaolin clay, from what I read it sticks better to the plant. And reduces heat stress by reducing the amount of UV rays or something like that.
    I am going to direct seed winter squash this weekend and do it all again.
    we will see what happens.

6. Jul 3, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

good luck! :)

7. Jul 3, 2019
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

I never have weeds and my chickens are in the garden all fall and winter but my squash bug population last year was in the millions, I'm sure of it.

This year I'm just starting to see some and eggs on the leaves....but I've been putting the ducks in the garden come evening, leaving them overnight and through the morning of the next day these last two days. Definitely see them working the squash plants and also picking the bugs off my broccoli...got some kind of flea beetle working there. Haven't seen a single JB in the garden yet, though I saw a few on the zinnias in the front flower bed.

We'll see how the Ducks of Wrath help with the SB population. Vine borers I've been able to prevent with the use of vet wrap around the stems of my seedlings and removing it once the stems are tough and large.

8. Jul 4, 2019
    Redd Tornado

@Beekissed what is vet wrap?
    And zinnias attract Japanese needle???? (Asks the girl that didn't know Mac and cheese was fattening until she was 27. Really)

flowerbug likes this.
  9. Jul 4, 2019
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

Vet wrap is a bandage that is self adhering and sticks well even when wet...sort of a thin ACE wrap that sticks to itself. It stretches as the plant grows, but eventually you have to take it off to let the stem breathe.

[​IMG]

And, yep, JBs LOVE zinnias and can chew them to bits....it's a great sacrifice crop....or an attractant, whichever way you look at it. Right now I have some JBs showing up on the zinnias in front of the house but none on those in the garden.

Here's my squash bug controls working on a squash plant as a team....

100_1834.JPG

A quick shot of the garden, starting to fill out....
    100_1836.JPG

10. Jul 4, 2019
    Redd Tornado

What a beautiful garden. thanks for the info on vet wrap.

Beekissed likes this.