Somehow, It's Funny that Way

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zplaces.png

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
so true, i've always disliked foods on sticks for that very reason.
I'm usually OK with foods on sticks. I DO, however have a problem with a few Chinese places that aren't careful about making sure that the sticks they used for things like their beef skewers are GOOD, SOLID sticks. With those places, I have to pull the meat off the stick by hand before I eat it, lest the stick break halfway and I drop it (or worse, I get a splinter inside of my mouth.)

I have a problem with cooking things on rosemary skewers for the same reason. I agree it gives the meat a nice flavor, but, generally, a rosemary branch isn't substantial enough to use as a handle; you better off just sprinkling rosemary on the meat and cooking it loose (like we do with our shish kebab.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Rex Rosemary may be an okay  stick for meat.

I can't grow rosemary outdoors and it doesn't even handle being in the unheated greenhouse very well in the winter. Therefore, it is cutback and does okay. I've bought new plants, propagated it, and overwintered Rex plants for about 20 years. I like it but, despite its strong upright growth, I never have sticks to use.

Steve
wishing he did

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Rex Rosemary may be an okay  stick for meat.

I can't grow rosemary outdoors and it doesn't even handle being in the unheated greenhouse very well in the winter. Therefore, it is cutback and does okay. I've bought new plants, propagated it, and overwintered Rex plants for about 20 years. I like it but, despite its strong upright growth, I never have sticks to use.

Steve
wishing he did
My pine scented is thick enough for skewers in some places, but is too gnarled to get straight sticks.