Somehow, It's Funny that Way

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What is Funnier is that many kids don't KNOW what a time out corner is.
We have a thinking time instead of time out. I make them think about what they did and when the time is up (as many minutes as their age) they come back and explain to me what they did, why it was wrong, they say sorry, clean up/fix what they broke, ect. It has worked well and lately I have been encouraging them to pray as well. I don't want to force them to pray but I do encourage them to pray during their thinking time.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, @ducks4you ,

I never had to spend time in one.

Instead, I learned what a "keen switch" was. Mom would send me out for one. If it wasn't "keen" enuf, she'd send me back. If'n I brought one back that was more like a "stick," thinking that she would take pity on me ... It didn't work! I'd get that spanking with the stick ...

😢 stevie
:hugs I'm so sorry for little Stevie. My mom used a leather belt.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm surprised by the reactions.

The shocking part is that I would be punished for what my brother did. The house rule was equal treatment because my mother wanted to "be sure she got the right one."

So I'd be abused by my brother, punished if my mother found out about it, and then face retaliation from my brother because he'd been punished.

To get back on topic 😅, Naturally as a mother I wasn't going to allow any mistreatment between siblings to occur on my watch. I'm a little hard of hearing, so if there was a ruckus I'd go charging down the hallway, "What's going on in here?" only to find my two children laughing so hard that they couldn't catch their breath. It became a joke between them, and it wasn't unusual to arrive at the door to find them pretending to be strangling each other. I guess it is funnier in-person than in writing. Ah well.

I don't recall either one of them ever needing a time out.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There is actually a limerick I it learned that is sort of like that. To get it, you have to know that many people in Britain abbreviate Salisbury as "Sarum" and Hampshire as "Hants".

There was a young curate of Salisbury
Whose manners were quite Halisbury-Scalisbury
He wandered round Hampshire
Without any pampshire
Till the Vicar compelled him to Warisbury

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a thinking time instead of time out. I make them think about what they did and when the time is up (as many minutes as their age) they come back and explain to me what they did, why it was wrong, they say sorry, clean up/fix what they broke, ect. It has worked well and lately I have been encouraging them to pray as well. I don't want to force them to pray but I do encourage them to pray during their thinking time.
I like your thinking time! I wish I'd thought of that when my kids were little!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
3FB6502F-2505-4C45-8E06-6A68CB3AAB8F.jpeg

Latest posts