Somehow, It's Funny that Way

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zpackage.png

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
All too true. That's why I assert that pleasure is the ultimate addiction; the one SO universal that not only will no one help you break your dependency on it, the better part of the world relies on getting everyone hooked. Think of just how much pain, suffering, and so on we could avoid if someone at birth could just turn off or cut out all of our dopamine receptors. We wouldn't ever feel happy, but we wouldn't ever feel sad either, and since life tends to hand you more pain than pleasure in the long run, that doesn't seem to me to be all that bad of a tradeoff. I'd take feeling nothing over feeling miserable any day. Heck you'd basically literally be in what every Buddhist in the world is apparently trying to achieve; complete freedom from desire. Nirvana via brain surgery.

Sort of sounds like the old story The Happiness effect, about a doctor who works out an injection that keeps you happy and content no matter WHAT happens in your life. I'd also think of Gleemonex from Brain Candy, but that relies on HAVING a happy memory or though for it to lock you into.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sort of sounds like the old story The Happiness effect, about a doctor who works out an injection that keeps you happy and content no matter WHAT happens in your life. I'd also think of Gleemonex from Brain Candy, but that relies on HAVING a happy memory or though for it to lock you into.

i'm a happy little turnip here.

i don't know who gave me the personality i have but after my last severe round of depression after the breakup with the girlfriend it took me a few years to get out of that funk, but it wasn't always miserable and we could still find things to laugh about around here.

perhaps i just chose it out of habit? sometimes happiness is a choice.

and not that i'm always "Up" but generally my mood is neutral or positive. when i feel i've been heading downwards i have a conversation with myself and ask me what i've been running through my mind. if i've been watching too much world news or the negative news or reading too much stuff about things that aren't going well then i try to find some more positive stories to read.

the middle to late winter is on the uphill trend because the days are getting longer and more light helps, but it also helps me to keep busy working on projects which keep my mind active and engaged, learning something new or improving my understanding. cleaning up a mess can also help as that lets me tick some items off my todo list which is also a dopamine jolt for a task oriented person.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Task, activity orientated ... the pickup lost a turn signal light after not being driven for  some weeks. I discover that as I'm on my way to the store and sneak along the back way with no one behind me so that I don't need to worry about that back light. Then, it was off to the parts house. Back way ...

I should take the bulb out so that I find the right one. No problem, couple of screws, have a screwdriver behind the seat. Where are the screws on this thing!? Open the tailgate -- could those be the screws holding the taillight?? Only one way to find out.

It's cold and windy, I am miles from home. My nose is running. The whole taillight assembly comes out! It's in one part - I need a wrench! Gotta wrench - 3 bulbs, it must be the blackened one. How do I take it out? Got it!

Push things back in place, close tailgate, wipe my nose ... off I go.

A few minutes later, I'm back out there in the cold. New bulb fits! I manage not to drop any of the tiny screws. Everything lines up and signal works! I'm back in the cab legally heading home with the groceries. I felt so accomplished!

How many digitS' does it take to change a light bulb? Just one 😊.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Task, activity orientated ... the pickup lost a turn signal light after not being driven for  some weeks. I discover that as I'm on my way to the store and sneak along the back way with no one behind me so that I don't need to worry about that back light. Then, it was off to the parts house. Back way ...

I should take the bulb out so that I find the right one. No problem, couple of screws, have a screwdriver behind the seat. Where are the screws on this thing!? Open the tailgate -- could those be the screws holding the taillight?? Only one way to find out.

It's cold and windy, I am miles from home. My nose is running. The whole taillight assembly comes out! It's in one part - I need a wrench! Gotta wrench - 3 bulbs, it must be the blackened one. How do I take it out? Got it!

Push things back in place, close tailgate, wipe my nose ... off I go.

A few minutes later, I'm back out there in the cold. New bulb fits! I manage not to drop any of the tiny screws. Everything lines up and signal works! I'm back in the cab legally heading home with the groceries. I felt so accomplished!

How many digitS' does it take to change a light bulb? Just one 😊.

kudoes @digitS'! :)

Latest posts