Somehow, It's Funny that Way

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mother always, and still does, write notes in shorthand. Gregg Shorthand.

i tried to learn that too when i was in college and trying to keep up with taking notes.

i gave up on that. if i rewrite notes shortly after a class that let me fill in things while i still remembered them. alas, not always able to do that.

i can type about as fast as i can think.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spencer, @Pulsegleaner , Spencer :D. You see, that was Grandma Pearl's name.

Had to have a school tutor come in when I was in the 7th grade to help me with penmanship. Eighth grade! I took typing. The Underwood at home was a benefit and I became a fairly good typist - for an awkward guy with big digitS'.

Typing - one would hardly know of any ability from my "work." One thing, I'm still confused by tenses for verbs and struggle with spelling because I often don't know how any words learned after the age of 25 (age of 12 ?) are pronounced. Then, there is the Auto Correct!

zcow.png
!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found out while homeschooling that public school was not being taught cursive. I am not sure when it started. I homeschooled for 18 years. I started DD with a different curriculum for the first 3 years and then later with DS I used Abeka and his cursive was more like what I was taught as a child and DD liked it better, so she practiced until she could write like DS.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if young people in Germany have a similar problem dealing with fraktur (the gothic type script often used for even books until the 1920's there).
Actually, since cursive is ubiquitous to all languages (well all languages that use the Roman alphabet) I imagine the problems are common to a LOT of countries.

I suppose it's a bit like when around twelve or thirteen, having barely learned standard Hebrew, we got introduced to cursive Hebrew.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
Fraktur isn't too bad for an ornate font. I started drafting before AutoCAD and got several jobs where the job interview was merely to write out some text to check penmanship. Now, what with AutoCAD, my printing skills have decayed. Cursive is still my 'jot it down' mode, but if it needs to be readable by everyone, then I default to drafting style printing. I keep thinking I'm gonna write some snail mail letters to folks using pen and ink, but haven't gotten around to it yet since it's just soooo much easier to type things.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
I looked at that "Fraktur." ! I would never be able to do that 🥴.

View attachment 39788
Sure you could do Fraktur. Most of it is the equipment. Get an ink pen and a flat nib. Hold the nib at an angle usually about 45 degrees. Dip the pen lightly into the ink and practice making a few strokes without making blots. To start the letters, make a small horizontal 'Z' shape for the tops of letters that have a vertical stroke. Then make the vertical stroke down. (or make the vertical stroke and then put the 'Z' on top, which ever way you find more comfortable) Make a small 'V' shape at the bottom of the verticals. Keep the nib at the same angle for the whole thing. Easy peasy! Kinda like cables in knitting, it's astonishingly easy and folks are more impressed than the amount of work it took to make it.

Latest posts