Somehow, It's Funny that Way

Wyndsong

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found out while homeschooling that public school was not being taught cursive. I am not sure when it started. I homeschooled for 18 years. I started DD with a different curriculum for the first 3 years and then later with DS I used Abeka and his cursive was more like what I was taught as a child and DD liked it better, so she practiced until she could write like DS.
I homeschooled my sons all the way through high school as well. Unfortunately, at the time they were at the right age to start them on cursive, I was dumb and of the mind that it wasn’t a necessary thing to learn. NOW, 20 years later, I’m sorry that I didn’t teach them to write cursive. By the time they got into their teens and I changed my mind on the topic, it was basically too late. They just wouldn’t do the practice and felt like it was an outdated practice. They are normally on computers, and even with their mostly hunt and peck typing, they are pretty fast and accurate on it. I type somewhere around 70+ words a minute now, but I am typing on a computer (which is much easier than even the best electric type writer which I learned on back in the 80s) and I am typing all day long for my business and pleasure. My sons can read most of our families hand writing, but not so much any one else’s. They have no interest in really learning either. **shrug**. I on the other hand, write in cursive more than printing.... printing takes too long! LOL

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
🤔

I went to the hardware store to get something. They had posted this sign outside:

If It Is In Stock
We Have It
You just reminded me of this photo we took of our brand new Ace store when it opened. We think they opened a little too soon..
5FF6448F-BDBF-4D3A-BF36-A52724DB66F3.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! And @Finnie , you reminded me of something.

When I was in my 20's and had decided to build my home-in-the-woods, I would stop at the local co-op for nails on my trips to town.

Town wasn't really all that far away from my rustic outbuildings, barn and cabin (built in that order). My primary construction materials were logs from the property. Nails were required. I was buying them almost every week! The salesperson always seemed to be the same guy. I became embarrassed and realized that they weren't exactly perishable items - I had to do better planning!

I can still remember the pleasure I felt leaving the store with my bags of nails. More Progress Ahead!

Steve ;)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm writing all of my daughter's big moments in a book for her, and all of my son's stories in a book for him. They'll have to read cursive if they want to know what it says lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chiknoodle . It seems somewhat of a sad reflection of how much change that we are experiencing.

I can read what the founders of the USA wrote in their own handwriting, for the most part. That common and casual ability will be lost.

It doesn't mean that some won't acquire the skill. It doesn't mean that the printed words found in countless books will cease to exist. And, it may very well be that there are many more important subjects for a child to learn in the finite time that they have in school.

There needs to be continued emphasis on helping children learn to do research of all kinds, to imagine, to think. That need not be all with beakers, calipers and the like. We can learn from those who were here before us, those around us, and from those in distant places.

Steve

Latest posts