Somehow, It's Funny that Way

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zpipe.png
fatherly role model of the 60's

Personally, I could tell that my pipe-smoking Dad was upset when both his sons had begun smoking tobacco and he quit, very soon after he became aware of it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rhubarb.

You may have heard about a rhubarb on the playing field. Sports announcers use the word probably when they don‘t agree with the person doing the complaining or have no idea what the confrontation is about.

You may know that actors, when a group of them are on the stage and supposed to be portraying a crowd just talking about something - making “crowd noise” - might just be saying rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb to each other. This goes back to the Middle Ages.

What is the origin of the word, rhubarb? Okay, the name Rhu is another name for the River Volga. Barb … Well, barb is what the civilized Mediterranean folks were claiming that the people on the Volga and beyond were saying perhaps even when they were trying to speak Greek or Latin, bar bar bar …

Not very nice but compare the word with what we may say … blah blah blah. Better yet, look up the word barbarian - there you have it also.

Rhubarb, it grows well in the north. Probably still grows on the Volga. I like Rhubarb … think that I might go out and check to see if there is any sign of the plants beginning to grow.

Steve :)

Latest posts