Somehow, It's Funny that Way

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reminds me of the riddle where you have to get out of a sealed metal box with only a desk, a piece of paper and a pencil.

First, you take the take paper and pencil and draw what you see, then wait a minute. What you see becomes what you saw. Use the saw to cut the desk in two halves. Two halves make a whole. Climb out the hole and your out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have to be somewhat careful with these ideas as senility sets in, @Pulsegleaner .

Imagine if a far-in-the-future @baymule , sitting in her recliner, looks out her window and then claims that her saw has taken out several hundred feet of tree overgrown fence line.

!

Personal example is my claim to having washed my hands has now been challenged by accepting the reality that hands wash themselves. I can guess that may mean that it's not only a hand task but they may decide not to do it in the future.

🥴 digitS'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Personal example is my claim to having washed my hands has now been challenged by accepting the reality that hands wash themselves. I can guess that may mean that it's not only a hand task but they may decide not to do it in the future.

🥴 digitS'

silly @digitS' everyone knows that one hand washes the other!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have to be somewhat careful with these ideas as senility sets in, @Pulsegleaner .

wow, is this wild, yesterday we had a few friends over for dinner and one topic of conversation was some things her father had done when he got older.

he was eating things that weren't food, candles, matches, wall plaster, and he was also forgetting that he ate and would not stop, so they had to lock his refridgerator and cupboards. wow, just wow to me... :( luckily for a long time his daughter lived close enough that she could take care of him, but it was still amazing at how long he was able to be at home.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
dinner leftovers
Well, that certainly beats wall plaster! @flowerbug are you sure that wasn't wall paper paste? Might not have been original.

Many, many cultures make no distinction between one meal to another. Knowing that, I still have problems with any desire for something green for breakfast. Sweet peppers and scallions on my omelet are appropriate but ...

And, you know, Americans eat so few vegetables that we really should give up on this thinking. It will be difficult for me at 4AM to have any interest. Habits become ingrained.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can cut a piece of wood in half just by looking at it.

I know that it's hard to believe but,

I saw it with my own eyes!

Well, that certainly beats wall plaster! @flowerbug are you sure that wasn't wall paper paste? Might not have been original.

Many, many cultures make no distinction between one meal to another. Knowing that, I still have problems with any desire for something green for breakfast. Sweet peppers and scallions on my omelet are appropriate but ...

And, you know, Americans eat so few vegetables that we really should give up on this thinking. It will be difficult for me at 4AM to have any interest. Habits become ingrained.

Steve
I USUALLY eat leftovers for "breakfast" (I'm putting it in quotes because my first meal of the day is usually around 10:30 to 11:00, so it's more brunch than breakfast.) Most of the standard American breakfast items are too sweet for me (both in terms of taste and in terms of being good for my body.) In fact, when I go out later in the day, if I pick up lunch, I often pick up something extra explicitly TO eat the next morning (I did it today; there's a Chicken Franchese waiting for me in the fridge.)

I DO sometimes allow myself things like donuts, Danishes and turnovers, but as far as I am concerned those things are for DESSERT, not breakfast (I guess sort of the reverse of Bill Cosby's "Chocolate Cake" bit.").

Oh, and @digitS', if that's how you feel about vegetables for breakfast, take a little advice from me via my parents and NEVER go for a vacation to Israel. There, having a bunch of raw vegetables with breakfast is not only common, it's the NORM. Basically, a traditional Israeli breakfast consists of crudité plus some cheese (usually something like feta) or yoghurt (plain).

wow, is this wild, yesterday we had a few friends over for dinner and one topic of conversation was some things her father had done when he got older.

he was eating things that weren't food, candles, matches, wall plaster, and he was also forgetting that he ate and would not stop, so they had to lock his refridgerator and cupboards. wow, just wow to me... :( luckily for a long time his daughter lived close enough that she could take care of him, but it was still amazing at how long he was able to be at home.
Glad they could keep an eye on him, pica is no laughing matter. There ARE cases where it is good for you (for example, some pregnant people will get a craving for clay or dirt if their diet doesn't have enough of some minerals for the baby's proper healthy development. But generally, it's not a great idea.

Although, provided they aren't scented ones, candles are pretty safe to consume, as beeswax, tallow and paraffin are all technically harmless to consume. We can digest the first two, I think (I know tallow is digestible, not sure about beeswax) and paraffin, while not digestible, is inert, and won't harm you (in fact, at this part of the year, a LOT of people will be eating some paraffin, as that is the secret ingredient in Thin Mints that makes the coating glossy. In fact several recipes for ersatz Thin Mints to be made at home specifically say to melt some non-colored birthday candles and add them to the glaze.) )

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad they could keep an eye on him, pica is no laughing matter. There ARE cases where it is good for you (for example, some pregnant people will get a craving for clay or dirt if their diet doesn't have enough of some minerals for the baby's proper healthy development. But generally, it's not a great idea.

Although, provided they aren't scented ones, candles are pretty safe to consume, as beeswax, tallow and paraffin are all technically harmless to consume. We can digest the first two, I think (I know tallow is digestible, not sure about beeswax) and paraffin, while not digestible, is inert, and won't harm you (in fact, at this part of the year, a LOT of people will be eating some paraffin, as that is the secret ingredient in Thin Mints that makes the coating glossy. In fact several recipes for ersatz Thin Mints to be made at home specifically say to melt some non-colored birthday candles and add them to the glaze.) )

i've determined that Jr. Mints and your common cracker work just as well for the flavor combination, but Mom has in recent year or so been stocking chocolate animal crackers so squishing a Jr. Mint between two of those is close enough (and actually better for my tastes). the waxy coating and fake chocolate going around these days posing as candy bars is pretty disgusting. i'm very spoiled. :) eating very little of all of this these days as much as i can avoid extra calories is keeping me close to 167lbs and i'd like to avoid going back up again as it makes gardening so much better to not have so much of me to move around (along with everything else :) )...

i'm also not hungry in the early morning and have to force myself to eat and that does actually help for later in the day, but my body doesn't consider morning natural at all.

Latest posts