Something Olde ;)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
They actually still MAKE both Teaberry and Blackjack, it's just a lot harder to find. The Vermont Country Store carries it, as do many candy shops (I think even Bed Bath and Beyond had it for a while)

I was actually quite fond of Blackjack. Somewhere along the line, my sweet tooth got stuck circa 1900 (Blackjack dates to 1876; it's actually the oldest flavored chicle chewing gum in the world) I STILL love horehound candy, and my holiday peppermint stick of choice is still King Leo (not the least because the length and weight make it perfect for use as a fake cigar for Groucho Marx's impressions*)

I was born long after the days of the old radio shows, but are intimately familiar with them via recordings. In fact, about 80% of the contents of my MP3 player are old radio shows, though most of those are my preferred selections of 1980's radio shows from places like CBC (mostly Nightfall and Vanishing Point)**

And of course there is the old joke, you may be older than you think if you remember when "don't touch that dial" actually MEANT something.

*Back when I was thinner, I could actually do the walk

** I also used to have a complete set of Cape Cod Radio Mystery
Theater,
but the discs all broke ages ago, or were lost (like my Atlanta Radio Theater company CD's which I STILL haven't been able to replace.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can remember being given horehound candy while trick or treating.

ad4_zps64y51dnt.jpg

Not just cigarette ads but for Christmas gifts, with Santa selling them! Humphrey Bogart and the guy who brought the Beatles to the US, Ed Sullivan also sold Chesterfield!

I used to smoke Viceroys ...

ad5.jpg

Last edited:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i miss penny candy at the Corn Patch-a local mom & pop store on the way up to Milton Pond area in NH. i grew up watching a lot of things my dad allowed me to see that i probably was too young to really see it. i remember listening to Alice's Restaurant & he still has this on LP, watched a lot of Marx Bros., Stoodges, Bob Hope, & when i had Disney channel as a kid growing up in the 80's i remember they played Ozzie & Harriet! i love listening to Swing music-the original players of it expecially-Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Durante, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, and Louis Armstrong.

i can remember rotary phones well, but i remember when they first had extended cords to take your phone outside! i remember doing this to keep one by the pool in case of emergency or if someone just happened to call. i remember when you would get a busy tone because there was no call waiting or voicemail to pick up if you couldn't get in touch directly. (i still get this on occasion when calling back customers). i used to watch the soaps with my mother when i had vacations. now everything is chit chat & trash talking on celebrities which makes me enjoy that i cut the cable out of my life in 2011!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i used to watch the soaps with my mother when i had vacations. now everything is chit chat & trash talking on celebrities which makes me enjoy that i cut the cable out of my life in 2011!
Which reminds me, I'm old enough to remember when MTV actually played music! o_O
I'm also old enough to remember when cable first came out, that they told us we could either pay for programming by watching commercials, or buy it from them commercial free. SUCKERS!!! :smack:somad

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having to wait till after 8 to make a long distance call because it was cheaper... and making it on the RENTED rotary dial phone mounted the wall in my parent's kitchen.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought that there must be some kind of law about who was allowed to own telephones ... suddenly, you could buy them!

I thought that there must be some kind of law about sending a credit card that I'd never asked for through the mail ... in fact, there was! I had only seen credit cards on television. Wells Fargo thought everyone should have a credit card!

Steve