Something Olde ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go back a little ways if you like.

What musician would you bring back from the clouds and harps?

I just came across a picture of Buddy Holly. No, he wouldn't be the one for me ... It's just that he looks like me ... or, I looked like him. Oh, yeah! I would rather have looked like Davy Crockett. You know, Fess Parker. Who looked a lot like Daniel Boone, somehow or other.

;) Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not the musicians I'd bring back. As good as some were (and some from my youth are still performing), it was the time and our place in that time that shapes the "desire" for me.

It's the age old question, can you ever go home again? No, because that home no longer exists. People have grown up, married, had kids, divorced, died, or moved away. Places and institutions have changed. The home you remember is not there any more. On the other hand, you never left home. Your home formed your foundations: your beliefs, desires, joys, fears, everything that makes you who you are today. No matter how far you roam, a part of home is always with you because it's part of who you are.

Songs like "Rhythm of the Rain" by the Cascades, "Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding, "Kentucky Rain" by Elvis or "Laurie (Strange Things Happen)" by Dickie Lee are among my favorites, not because of the artist or the music, but because of where and what I was when I heard them.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's not the musicians I'd bring back. As good as some were (and some from my youth are still performing), it was the time and our place in that time that shapes the "desire" for me.

It's the age old question, can you ever go home again? No, because that home no longer exists. People have grown up, married, had kids, divorced, died, or moved away. Places and institutions have changed. The home you remember is not there any more. On the other hand, you never left home. Your home formed your foundations: your beliefs, desires, joys, fears, everything that makes you who you are today. No matter how far you roam, a part of home is always with you because it's part of who you are.

I answer you comment on songs with a song

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score

Songs like "Rhythm of the Rain" by the Cascades, "Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding, "Kentucky Rain" by Elvis or "Laurie (Strange Things Happen)" by Dickie Lee are among my favorites, not because of the artist or the music, but because of where and what I was when I heard them.
:hugs Well said Ridgerunner :love

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Odd. I can feel young every weekday morning ... ;) if I tune into the Odd Squad!

Jimmie Rodgers, @Pulsegleaner ! It depends on your era :). But, I was listening to Honeycomb and Kisses ... Sweeter Than Wine!

No, but the Odd Squad --- @Ridgerunner , you have grandchildren. I watch one or two kids shows and all the elementary school kids going by. The boss of the Odd Squad appears to be the youngest kid. Here's some analysis ... since I don't want to say that "it couldn't be cuter" ;). Wikipedia describes The Odd Squad as "young agents who use indirect reasoning and math to solve and investigate strange happenings in their town."

Squad Boss, Ms. O was reflecting on happenings in 1984 in this morning's episode. The flashback had her in Big Hair ... ha, ha! The kid's maybe 10. 1984 is thirty ... um ... something years ago! I remember 1984 like it was yesterday! She might have said 1985 ...

digitS'
Edit: http://pbskids.org/oddsquad/videos/

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Jimmie Rodgers, @Pulsegleaner ! It depends on your era :). But, I was listening to Honeycomb and Kisses ... Sweeter Than Wine!

If you insist

I just grabbed the first version I found. To be honest, until a year or so ago, I didn't KNOW any version except the "watered down" version the Kingston Trio did.

Not to slight the Kingston trio they sometimes did some really GREAT takes on their songs (their version of "Coal Tattoo" is probably the only one close to (and even better than) the original Billy Edd Wheeler version)

and they took Pete Seeger's arrangement of "Bonnie Heilan' Laddie" (which is kind of boncy silly) and turned into something with read gravitas

I also remember their cover of "Everglades" if only because it earned me a pretty big punch in the mouth from a country music aficionado when I said I preferred it to the Waylon Jennings version (note to others, when you deal with hardcore country aficionados if one of the big names did a song you don't EVER say someone sang it better.)

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember;

buying a bag of Fritos with a peel off 45 record on the bag by Chubby Checkers and the song was The Frito Twist. Yes we did play it and did the Frito Twist!

Lead toothpaste tubes! probably where my brain damage comes from........

3 TV stations. And TV signed off at 2 AM and played the National Anthem. TV signed back on at 5 AM.

We got color TV when I was in Jr. High.

Latest posts